Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,811 Posts
you can only wrap stainless. wrapping is good to keep heat out of the engine bay and from damaging the paint on your hood or heating up the engine bay too much when you're stopped at an idle.

unwrapped i felt like i could cook a hotdog over my header! now i can touch them with my bare hand and not be burnt.

·
Premium Member
14,811 Posts
Flashmn said:
wrong, you can wrap mild ones too. but they will get fried alot faster.
you can wrap anything, i could wrap my arm with the stuff to keep me warm in winter. but that doesnt make it a good idea! wrapping mild steel or aluminized steel will rot it many many times over before stainless shows much harm.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wrapping is not the right choice:

http://www.hmheaders.com.au/warranty/
Stainless Steel Headers (409 exhaust grade stainless) - The warranty period shall be 10 YEARS from the date of purchase by the customer. The warranty does not extend to any gaskets, clamps, bolts and nuts supplied with the header. The warranty is not transferable and applies only to the original purchaser of the stainless steel header.

This stainless steel header warranty does not apply if:

• Any form of heat retention product (e.g. heat wrap) is applied to the header.
http://www.aempower.com/Faqs.aspx?CategoryID=36
Q:I race on the weekends. Can I use header wrap to keep underhood temps down?A: The use of header wrap will void the manufacturer warranty on your DC Sports header because it does not allow the header to normalize and can soften the welds. Although header wrap is used with success on racing engines, most teams account for the deterioration it will cause to the header, and in most cases warranty is not a concern for racing teams. On street cars or vehicles that are street driven and see occasional track duty, we do not recommend its use.

http://www.stahlheaders.com/faq.htm#wrap

Should I use a Header Wrap?
NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT. There is nothing that will damage a header faster than the use of a header wrap, other than attacking it with a hammer or shot gun. As advertised, these wraps do keep the majority of exhaust gas temperatures within the header. The result is the wraps will prohibit the header tubing from cooling properly. If you reduce the ability for headers to dissipate adequate heat properly, the result will be premature failure of the metal. Depending upon the application use and temperatures involved, the life can be reduced to only a few hours. We consider exhaust wraps to be the header manufacturer's best friend.

If engine compartment temperatures are an issue, the best solution is to use insulation materials on the sheet metal. One alternative in some applications is to build a box around the headers and actually duct outside air into the box. In some applications ceramic coatings have been known to help (see notes on coatings above). Insulating any components that may be sensitive to heat, such as wiring, fuel & oil lines, etc., are a better option.
IMPORTANT: Use of header wraps will void any warranty.

:)

·
Premium Member
14,811 Posts
AE92 SPORT said:
hi Darien18. What headers did you install, do you have the specs on them. Thanks if you don't mind. And congrats. Did you notice an improvement after installing the headers.
he got the same ebay header i have, its getting pretty popular since its very cheap (around $100 shipped), seems to be well made, and fits like a glove!

all the joints are ground smooth like that so theres no obstructions inside and the welds look fantastic.

·
Premium Member
14,811 Posts
no, its just the angle of the picture. everything clears just fine. changing the filter is no more difficult than before and the overflow line is several inches away. the only thing thats close is the alternator, which is why i heatwrapped my header...and because my hood was always very very hot. now the hood stays even cooler than it was stock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.