Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have 2 questions for replacing the headgasket on my 83 toyota:

1) The factory manual says that to put sealant on the front corners of the headgasket when reassembling. What kind of sealant is that? It doesn't specify in the manual. Just anything from the auto suppy store?

2) Where will be a good place to get replacement head bolts other than the toyota dealership? Suggestions?

Thank you all in advance.

Kyle

·
Registered
84 4X4 toyota pickup
342 Posts
i would suspect the sealant would be any kind of instant gasket maker or hi-temp sealant. i used instant gasket maker on a 95 4runner that my brother and i replaced the headgasket on. also put it all around the head or gasket just to make sure that it's good. as of the head bolts you could either look at ebay or anywhere else like that. you might be able to get some at an autoparts store though it's not very likely.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I would recommend replace your head bolts .... they stretch .

most times you can get away not replacing , but its a gamble .

you can get em @ http://engnbldr.com/

use a FIPG sealant , black RTV will work .... any parts store will have it .

also ...just put it on the front ,a "little dab el' do ya " on the SEAMS .....where the timing cover meets the head . just to seal that "crack"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.