Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings friends,
I want to replace the headlight bulbs on my 97. Which are best? I want the brightest i can get, NH is dark at night. How hard are they to put in

thanks all,

Matt:)

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
they're easy as hell to replace...your user's manual will have instructions.

as far as the "brightest" you can get...quite a few people may say Silverstars. they're great bulbs...BUT, be warned. if you go this route, you'll probably have them die within a year. if you're concerned that much about light output, get a set of fogs as well as your regular headlights, or opt for HIDs.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
some people aren't interested in forking over the cash for a GOOD kit. they aren't cheap.

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
I am using the Sylvania Silverstar in my Camry and my Tercel.
They are bright!!!
I have heard people on here complain that they don't last long, but those in my Camry have been going strong foe about three years. The ones in the Tercel have only a few months on them.

·
Registered
778 Posts
You can put the replacement H4 bulbs in and they will work just fine. You can add a set of driving lights and they will work well too. Or you can buy HID (blue lights). If you add driving lights just make sure you get the right ones. Fog lights are YELLOW, and they dont reflect light thats how they are designed, however Driving lights are WHITE lights and they work really well and look good too. But driving lights dont work very well in fog cause they reflect too much. Just depends on what you want.

·
TIEyota fighter ace
AE101, TE72
1,943 Posts
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t173428.html ...not to toot my own horn or anything. =)

HIR 9012s are the brightest drop-in replacements, bar none.
If you don't want to spend $30/bulb, GE Nighthawks and Sylvania Silverstar XTRAVISIONs are a close second--the Cool Blues are the crap ones.
If you're willing to do a little filing, 4x9011s are 80% HID output for 1/10th the price (and I'm talking true projector retrofit, not those shoddy HID kits that keep the halogen optic path).

·
Registered
983 Posts
I've been running Silverstars 9006's in my 03 for 5 years now and I really like them, my last set I went to the new Silverstar ultras which run $40+ a pair just to see how they were and only noticed a little brighter difference...Only good thing is with them coming out with the ultras the reg Silverstars took a nose dive in price, I bought a pair on eBay for $15...:)

The reason they don't last long is your DRL's sucks life out of them...:sosad:

HID is the best way to go and having fog lights help also, my 03 fogs takes an H3 bulb(04 up has 9006) and I went with Silverstars with them also and I can really tell the difference, it illuminates along with my headlights about 1/4 more of the road at night...

I never tried the nighthawks but if you like them their cheaper then Silverstars...:)

Good Luck :)

~Radd

·
Registered
49 Posts
diver9000 said:
You can put the replacement H4 bulbs in and they will work just fine. You can add a set of driving lights and they will work well too. Or you can buy HID (blue lights). If you add driving lights just make sure you get the right ones. Fog lights are YELLOW, and they dont reflect light thats how they are designed, however Driving lights are WHITE lights and they work really well and look good too. But driving lights dont work very well in fog cause they reflect too much. Just depends on what you want.
No stock Toyota fog are yellow. Mine are clear bulbs.

G

·
0 Posts
sdbct1 said:
greetings friends,
I want to replace the headlight bulbs on my 97. Which are best? I want the brightest i can get, NH is dark at night. How hard are they to put in

thanks all,

Matt:)
try the new SilverStar Ultra

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Piloter,
Nice research dude. Very impressive. Deffinatly gona have to think about what I want. Thanks gang

·
Danno
1989 corolla GT-S
1,501 Posts
Silverstars Are really nice... dont touch the bulb or mess with them to much & they should last along time.. Mine have

1 - 13 of 13 Posts