Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lex ES330
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

Just saw that one of my stock headlight bulb went out and need a replacement for my Gen 3 Camry.

I could get the standard bulb but wondering what my options are for somethign that is better. Also, my existing bulb housing (the entire headlight) looks a bit yellow - both of them.

I could order new headlights... but which bulbs should I replace them with for something brighter that is street legal.

Thanks,
maneesh

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
get silver stars worth the $

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
9005 mod for the silver stars would rock! right now i have blue 9005's from ebay my stock 9005 are brighter but i dont really care right now. oh and how to mod the 9005 is in the faq at the top of the forum. also there been a few threads on here on how to clean them.

·
Lex ES330
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
itzsteven - how whould I do an OEM HID retrofit? this is for a Gen 3 camry. I think this is going to be too pricey...

chronoti - will search the FQA's for the 9005 mode.

Thanks guys.

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
HID Retrofit would be very pricey indeed. 9005 modded Silverstars are the way to go, just don't use them during the day or they'll burn out too quickly.

·
Registered
678 Posts
OEM retrofit means use the parts from bmw or audi... then put it to your headlight housing by cutting, gluing... OEM kit only use D2S or D2R bulbs. D2S is for projectors and D2R is for reflectors. If you're looking for 9005 kit, they aren't OEM anymore because they're just some rebased kits from other companies. Retrofit should cost you around $500. $350 for the oem parts (include ballast bulbs and projectors), $150 will be some extra wires, relays and extra housing. HID kit will cost you around 250-400 depend on where you buy it. Kit usually last around 1-2 years while the oem will last a lot mores. Kit will produce a lot of glare for other coming traffics and retrofit with projects isn't. Please visit www.hidforum.com . I've learned a lot of thing from them, they'll help you out whenever you need.

·
Lex ES330
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm not up to do the HID conversion and neither is my wallet... So am going to skip that.

I think I'll go with the 9005 silverstars... but I have a question. The light that is gone out is my low bean, which is the outer light and this is a 9006, not a 9005. So can I install ia 9005 bulb inside a 9006 socket?

Thanks for your advice guys....

regards,
maneesh

·
Registered
207 Posts
Whatever you do, please dont get those cheesy blue painted ricer ZEENON BULBZ. They are dimmer than oem and are notorious for blowing out. Silverstars are the way to go IMO.

maneesh said:

So can I install ia 9005 bulb inside a 9006 socket?
Yes you can, It requires a little trimming of the socket but it is possible and a good way to get more light to the road.

- Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts