Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
06 AC Taco
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else ever have this problem? I tried searching, but didn't find anything on this exact topic.

Here is the problem:
Went out to my truck after work, started it up, let it warm up, like I always do. I noticed my headleamp indicator light was flickering very faintly on my dash. I get out, check to see if my lights are on, and they are not. So, I turn my lights on, the indicator lamp in the dash is on BRIGHTLY now, which is expected.......................then I go to turn off my lights and they don't turn off. Light still on, switch in off position. Still on. I turn the truck off, open my driver door, close it, lights still on, lights in off position. OH yeah, my high beam indicator does the same kind of flickering, and moving the left stalk/indicator lever from normal to high beam does nothing at all, either in the dash, or for my lights..............but I can hear a click, like the relay trying to switch, when I flick the lever.

So I get home, and disconnect the battery for about 2 hours. I just hooked it back up, and I still see the headlamp indicator on the dash flickering. BUT I can now turn my lights off and on...............don't know what the problem is there. BUT I still can't switch between low and high beam, and the flickering light in the dash (with NO key in the ignition) is kind of worrisome.

Another note, is that when I turn my parking lights on, or headlights to the full on position, the dash lights dim, like normal

Cliffs:
1. Headlamp indicator light in dash is flickering, with no key in ignition and when truck is running.
2. For a while I could NOT turn my lights off. Disconnecting battery fixed it?
3. Can't switch between high and low beam, can hear relay "switching".
4. I've had HID's in my truck for about 2 years, from a GB on this board. Never had issue until today, and I probably have not used my lights for several months. I don't do a lot of night driving.

Thoughts?

My next fix is going to be to disconnect the HID's and put the stock bulbs in. Some how I don't think that's going to be the fix though.

:confused:

·
Registered
06 AC Taco
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, fuses are fine. I think I found the problem. So I disconnected the HID's from the truck.........and the indicator light on the dash goes out. So I turn my headlights on, obviously the lights don't come on because they are disconnected, but the indicator light comes on in the dash (like it's supposed to) and I can switch back and forth between high and low beam, and the correct indicator like in the dash (blue high beam indicator) comes on.

I plug the HID ballast back into the truck wiring..........................the flickering starts on the dash again................but if I get it just right I can get it to stop............temporarily. Then when I turn the HID's on, the high beam indicator in the dash is always on.

So, it's a faulty ballast. I guess that's the quality you can expect when you do a group buy on ebay quality parts, lolz. I know a bunch of people on here bought them, from slimcubby.

Anybody else that did this group buy have this issue?

My lights are disconnected for now, until I can either remove the whole system, or swap out both ballast with some that I never opened.

·
Registered
06 AC Taco
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think there is a possibility that because it seems the HID ballast is drawing current/power........which is in turn causing the light in my dash to flicker..............that it could drain my battery at all?

I don't really want to remove the whole system, because technically they still work. Removing is kind of a hassle, cuzz I have everything tucked away behind stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts