Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys/gals...I have an 01' Avalon with a passenger headlight that keeps on fogging up for no reason. So I was wondering if anyone ever have this kind of problem and how did they go on to fixing it? Thanks in advance.

·
'07 Avalon Limited
'07 Avalon Ltd
1,093 Posts
If it's fogging up on the inside it's because water is getting in. While I haven't had this problem with a Toyota I have had it with other makes. I've had success in preventing fogging by applying a bead of clear silicone caulk anywhere the headlamp assembly has a seam.

One thing you might also want to do it to remove the bulb and apply a hairdrier to the outside of the housing to heat up the moisture. By blowing into it you'll displace the moist air. Then make sure you've got the bulb seated well and hopefully you'll have resolved the problem!

·
Regular Guy
106 Posts
This is interesting, because my 2000 Avalon's passenger side HL has a similar problem that has just started in the last few months. Prior to November 2005, this car was garaged every day, now it's an "outside car," I wonder if the additional exposure has revealed a flaw in the housing manufacture or design.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried to blow dry the headlight but not a single drop of moisture/water is moving. I took out the old silicone or whatever it is that is holding the headlight together and spread new silicone around it but it still fogs up. The car is always garage and there's no rain or anything, well until now.

·
'07 Avalon Limited
'07 Avalon Ltd
1,093 Posts
Have you removed the assembly from the car, and shaken as much of the moistier out as will come out? Then try the hairdryer.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I shooked it until all the water came out. It fogged up again the next morning. I don't know, it's a darn mystery to me.

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,979 Posts
I would say re silicone the whole headlight. Make sure to put enough and not miss a spot.

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
when i bought my camry a year ago it had a passenger side all fogged up...basically the dealer replaced it under warrenty for me ...and what else sucks is our brand new camry driver side fogs up a big on the side so it looks like were gonna get it replaced :D

·
Registered
467 Posts
Try Taking The Whole Headlight Out And Immerse It In Water, Wherever You See A Bubble Formimg Or Escaping, That's Where You Need To Appl The Caulk....

·
'07 Avalon Limited
'07 Avalon Ltd
1,093 Posts
Jagalag said:
Try Taking The Whole Headlight Out And Immerse It In Water, Wherever You See A Bubble Formimg Or Escaping, That's Where You Need To Appl The Caulk....
That's a pretty good idea!

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
i wonder if, for this issue, if you can heat up the headlight in the kitchen oven at a low temperature as we do our Tacoma headlights for the "black Headlight mod" to soften the "silicone" seal... then pry apart and clean the edges of the halves of the headlight assembly, then re-apply silicone consistently and put the headlight back together again.

can the seal around the light bulb be leaking????

·
Registered
14 Posts
I shooked it until all the water came out. It fogged up again the next morning. I don't know, it's a darn mystery to me.
You really need to get ALL of the moisture out. Assuming there is no source to replenish it. Remove the bulb amd try the hair dryer again. This time find a peice of tubing that you can insert into the housing, through the opening for the bulb, and use it to make sure you are getting the hot dry air into the housing. Give it some time, feel the front of the lens. It has to get warm to evaporate any moisture trapped in the housing. Double check your housing for cracks or leaks. Seal with silicone. Check the bulb assembly. There should be a rubber O-ring or seal that seals the bulb when you lock it in place. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts