Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Newbie. Advanced search yielded 0 results (operator malfunction?).
New to me '14 Limited. Best vehicle the wife's ever owned and very impressive
overall. At issue is the front headlamp lens. Or maybe the sub structure inside
where it appears to be silver plastic just under the surface of the lens.
I've seen plastic lenses cloud over and remedied the situation with Meguire's
Mirror Glaze 2 fine- cut cleaner. Not having an effect here; as it seems to be
on the backside of the lens or maybe the silver (chrome), underneath the clear lens.
Dealership service writer was clueless. Haven't priced headlamp assy. replacements-
might find I have a weak heart. Suggestions or re direct. Thanks much.

20200801_181600.jpg 20200801_182328.jpg 20200801_182334.jpg 20200801_182351.jpg 20200801_182610.jpg

·
Registered
175 Posts
I know nothing about this (my disclaimer) but there seems to be a pattern to the clouding, similar to a spider web with a distinct center, almost as if something hit the lens, like a rock, and created a faint shatter pattern. Just an armchair observation.

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,288 Posts
Bassmike...kinda wierd issue is on inside, not out. Haven't looked, but if headlight is like tail lights, its a sealed unit.
U may need to get a new one if light out put is obstructed? FWIW...so far mine are still clear.

·
Registered
2018 Highlander XLE
16 Posts
Hi Bassmike, I’ve had a similar problem with a vehicle I owned in the past. The headlight unit needed to be replaced because it has become unsealed and let condensation inside. If you are really brave you can put it in the oven to reseal the plastic and cook the condensation out of it. Just remove the bulb first. Also, this could be caused by a poor seal on the headlight bulb. Replacing the whole unit is a fairly easy job you can do yourself with a few wrenches or socket set within an hour. You can buy brand new at the dealer for over $200 or do what I did, and get one used from an Auto-wrecker for about $70. Just do a search on Search Salvage Yards for Auto Parts | AutoPartSearch.com and you will find one in stock at a salvage yard near you. The other option is buying a new aftermarket one on RockAuto, but sometimes that stuff doesn’t fit properly so for your best chance at success I suggest getting a used original Toyota one. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for insightful suggestions. We've pretty much decided to bite the bullit.
Todays' trip to the Toyota dealership body shop and second opinion service writer
verified what I knew to be facts. B/S gave me an estimate $296 ea plus 200 labour.
Service sd no shown recalls. This is what they're paid to do. Derrr. Since the existing
parts are same as what I'd find at Pick a Parts et al. ("used") and since Ebay cust svc
is now non existent on returns if it's not satisfactory, I'd just as soon order OEM
and receive peace of mind while waiting on Mnuchin & Co. to rain down more funds.
After six mos. it's really the only hiccup I've found with a really impressive product.
Thanks and stay safe and sane.

83350034_3010224872343182_8786862330035044352_o.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts