Toyota Nation Forum banner

HEADLIGHT PROBLEM: High beams work...low beams don't!!!

253K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Vangm25 
#1 ·
Hey,
I have searched on this forum for an answer but haven't yet turned up anything that helps. I have a Gen 4. I have checked all of my fuses just to make sure they were all good. My low beams do not work at all. However, my high beams work fine. If i have the low beams turned on, there is nothing. When i turn on the high beams, they work fine. Heres the wierd part though. When i turn on my high beams, the light on the dash saying the bright lights are on doesnt light up??? What is going on. I have the repair manual and have tried looking in the too. Im not too good with wiring diagrams. PLEASE HELP!!!! I do not like driving down the road at night and having every single car that passes me flash their lights at me because they think i don't realize my brights are on!!!!

#4 ·
replace the bulbs first. Or you can get a DVM and check your voltage to verify you are getting voltage to the socket. I used to see them all the time with both low beams not working and it was the bulbs.

#5 ·
ok...they both just went out at once...i got off work...went to turn on my lights...and then...BAM...they were both off. So i don't know that the bulbs messed up at the same time...but who knows. I did have reverse guages but took them out. come to think of it, since i did that, my clock and my cig lighter have not been working and i have been trying to figure out whats up with them. no fuse problems. Where do i check with a voltage meeter??? how would i be sure the switch was bad. What about my clock and lighter???
Thanks so much!

#6 ·
when you took out you revers lights you might have pulled a wire or 2. but for you lights pull the plug off the low beam and put a volt meter to it and see if you are getting power to it. if yes you must replace the bulbs. if not try and fallow the wires as far as you can. you might find the problem. befor you pull out the switch try and look at you other problems i think that might have something to do with it. you dont realy lose all that with out blowing a fuse or two

#9 ·
In your case if the fuses are good in all 3 of the fuse boxes under the hood and you have new head lamps it is likely the dimmer relay either loose or bad. It is located directly in front of the large fuse box on the driver side assuming you have a 2000 carolla or equivalent year model. Please rate if this solves your problem.

#11 ·
Not sure about the electrical in the 06', you may want to post a pic of the engine cage showing your fuse boxes. The dimmer relay being loose definitely solved my headlights going out simultaneously on the 2000 carolla assuming all fuses and relays related to head or DRL were checked and reseated, also replaced bulbs - although probably not necessary if they both go out at the same time.

#12 · (Edited)
I checked no 12 VDC to the low beams. I could only find fuses for the headlights in the under the hood fuse box I did not see any in the interior fuse box. I have 4 10amp 2say LWR they have 12 volts to them 2 say UPR they read zero VDC. I also have a 40 amp head main that checked good. I do not think it is the switch inside the car the high beams work and the side yellow light work with the switch. I would think if it was bad on the low beam position the side yellow lights would not work and the same as the driving lights works but no low beam. I also swapped the head and dimmer relay but that did nothing.
Did I miss a fuse?

#16 ·
My next step would be to do some trouble shooting at the LB relay. remove the relay and try jumping the the power from the input slot to the output that goes to the headlights. If that works then your problem is on the control side of the relay. if jumping the relay doesn't make the lights come on then you have a wire problem between the relay and the headlight.

I would bet on it being in the HI / low switch in stearing colum.

#17 ·
I found my problem today. The connector that goes into the daytime running light module had a groud pin broke. Toyota had 3 wires into one pin and it broke in the connector. I cut out the wires and ran them to a new ground point and my problem was fixed. I have daytime lights and low / high beams also fog lights.

Thanks for all the good ideas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.