Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Camry, 07 HyHi.
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I used a wrong bulb and it ended up messing the socket. This is the regular headlight ( not the high beam). What is cheapest way to fix it? Don't want to replace the whole headlight :-(

·
6,664 Posts
I'd take dremel, grind down plastic bumps, file prong hole to normal shape and bulb should stay there just off 2 prongs, maybe with some gorilla tape over. Otherwise, I'd take some fiberglass cloth, soak it in resin, cut suitable pieces, about 5-6 layers, and lay them onto the plastic cleaned and roughed surface. That should restore socket completely. It's tedious, yet cheaper than buying entire assey.

·
Registered
99 Camry, 07 HyHi.
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd take dremel, grind down plastic bumps, file prong hole to normal shape and bulb should stay there just off 2 prongs, maybe with some gorilla tape over. Otherwise, I'd take some fiberglass cloth, soak it in resin, cut suitable pieces, about 5-6 layers, and lay them onto the plastic cleaned and roughed surface. That should restore socket completely. It's tedious, yet cheaper than buying entire assey.
Thanks ukrkoz. Good tips. I see an new aftermarket on ebay for $87 shipped.. You think thats a good deal? I contacted the seller and he said I have 60 days to return so wondering if I should try that while fixing the OEM assembly.

·
6,664 Posts
It's your money and sober evaluation of fabrication skill and tools available.
I would not buy anything off ebay, I actually shut down my account there.
Aftermarket headlight assey-s tend to be not sealed properly, get moisture inside and reflective coating varnish in short time. If you have good functional OEM headlight, it will always be superior to AM one.
Plus, you will have to pay for return, right?
Then again, it will cost you quite a bit to fix it anyway, if you already do not have all the tools and materials. I do. So for me, it's about 30 min cakewalk.
Thus, it's your call. If you were to keep that Prius till wheels fall off - I'd fix it, if not - buy AM one and replace.

·
Registered
99 Camry, 07 HyHi.
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ukrkoz for your tips. Very helpful. I went ahead and followed your plan and dremeled the extra plastics..Got notches to fit the bulb in and it works great.. also replaced halogen with LEDs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts