Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some experience with front engine VWs and have european spec headlights that take buch brighter bulbs but are focused and designed a bit better than domestic DOT/OEM counterparts. Are there direct replacements for this gen truck that look the same but work way better? H1/H4 type headlights?
Or should I just stick to adding high quality driving llights as accessories?

·
The High Altitude Yota!
1990 SR5 Pick-up
2 Posts
Hi!

I've been using Hella replacement headlights for years, running 65/100W H-4 bulbs. I wouldn't have anything else.

Be warned that replacing the headlights involves removing the grille to complete the job.

BTW - If you choose to go this route, be SURE to aim those puppies properly, so that you don't blind oncoming traffic!

I hope this helps!

Raj

·
<^-~*PIMP*~-^>
758 Posts
breknraj said:
Hi!

I've been using Hella replacement headlights for years, running 65/100W H-4 bulbs. I wouldn't have anything else.

Be warned that replacing the headlights involves removing the grille to complete the job.

BTW - If you choose to go this route, be SURE to aim those puppies properly, so that you don't blind oncoming traffic!

I hope this helps!

Raj
You do NOT have to remove the grill to take out the headlights.. You just have to have the right size screw driver.. I have diamond cut headlights in my truck with h4 bulbs.. My recommendation would be to purchase a set of diamond cut lenses, and the invest in some Silverstars or hella H4 bulbs.. I personally am going to take my diamond cuts out and put in a set of 4runner headlights..

·
Georgian Pickup Drifter
1991 Toyota Pickup
933 Posts
Silvania Silverstars are the best lights you can buy, without having a converted headlight housing. Now if you have a housing that accepts the H4 bulbs, the I would suggest JDM Koito bulbs. If you want an overall good headlight, the Silvania Silverstar sealed beam headlights are by far the best around.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have found that silverstars usually dont make any difference with visibility for my vehicles. I have had them in a Saab 9000 and in my truck. To tell you the truth, the sealed beam version seemed better than just the bulbs; because the bulbs would burn out very often. My best headlights have been an H4 conversion in my 1993 Toyota Pickup, and osram 75W/95W headlights from germany off eBay.

·
Loose Nut
94 Toyota 2WD Pickup
257 Posts
Cibie, Hella and Marchal all make 6054 headlamps that take H4 bulbs. Both provide the (IMHO) European "E-code pattern light." For a few bucks more, you can even get the version with the "city" lamp for a genuine European look. The pattern from the Cibie is supposed to be slightly superior.

They are expensive, though. Daniel Stern Lighting ( http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html )sells them for a bit over $60 each!, and I'm not sure that includes the H4 bulb.

There's a lot of "Diamond Cut" H4/6054 headlamps on eBay that are much lower priced ( http://tinyurl.com/7kday). I have no idea of the quality of the headlamp, but if they're the same crapola the "Diamond Cut" passing lamps were that I bought for my motorcycle through J&P Cycles, I wouldn't waste my time. The "Diamond Cut" passing lamps I bought were cheap toy-like plastic. Based on my experience with the "Diamond Cut" passing lamps, I will not be buying the 6054 headlamps on eBay or elsewhere.

I strongly suggest contacting Daniel Stern if you're even in the slightest way interested in upgrading your headlamps, even if it's just replacing a cheap set of Wagner 6054s with some Sylvania Xtravision H6054s. His knowledge of lighting is encyclopedic, and as long as you don't do something stupid like argue with him that blue filters on bulbs make them brighter, he'll be very helpful, even if it doesn't generate any business for him.

Disclaimer: I have no association with Daniel Stern, other than as a twice-satisfied customer, and a 15+ year history of correspondence with him.

HTH,
- Arved
'94 2wd P/U

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
I run the Hella H4 conversion on my 93. I like them so far. I run cheapy "Store Brand" 17.99 a pair h4's, and they have been working great for a year so far. I purchased mine at "Super Autobacs" here in Cali. May try some of the higher end bulbs when the cheapies finally die. they make a nice set from Raybrig, If I remember correctly, they are 120/70's, and white as heck.

Riv.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm running Hella 6054 assemblies, Philips 4300K D2S, H4 Casper shields, & Hella Gen III ballast! Amazing amount of light output. I would never go back to halogens. Highly recommended!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wiring capacity

The headlights in my new-to-me '94 pickup- scary, as I'm driving in 'deer country' most of the time. I'm going to put H4s in, but wondering what the capacity of the wiring is- ie, can it handle 100w high beams without upgrading the wiring? I had to upgrade and add relays to run the hotter lights on my '66 Volvo and '80 BMW motorcycle, but it sure would be nice if the 'yota could handle it without all that work....

·
Yota Meister
1989 Pickup 4x4
291 Posts
My recommendation would be the Sylvania Silverstars. Those seem to work the best out here in Arizona where there aren't any streetlights. The Silverstars blow the stock Sylvanias out of the water in terms of performance.

·
Fixing 1 Piece at a Time
89 4x4 Pickup
121 Posts
Shoes, that's what I ordered, the projection headlights. I haven't gotten them yet. Do you have to upgrade any wiring with them or are the stock wires sufficient?

. . . I'll be able to get to finishing your sig sometime this week, i think.

·
Registered
333 Posts
shoes1382006 said:
there some projection headlights off of ebay that work better than the silverstar!
iv had these projectors for a couple weeks and i dk how much of an improvement they are.. i remember verylittle what the stock ones look like, are they a definate improvement? when i look at the lights (even though its blinding) it dosnt seem like there projecting through the lense, is it just me? and are the bulbs that come with them suficient? have you tried upgrading them?

·
Registered
1992 Toyota Pick Up
489 Posts
Anyone have pics of this H4 conversion? I'm pretty interested, and close to just buying the projectors off ebay, but hear of these converted lights, and now must hear!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts