Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my RAV4 2016 with 22,000 miles on it. In the last two years I have replaced the bulbs six times with Silverstar 9012 by Sylvania each time. Last one lasted three months.
I’m at a loss as to why they don’t last.

·
Premium Member
2015 Sienna / 2018 RAV4
1,067 Posts
A few issues to consider:

1) Overvoltage: You might consider having a shop check your electrical system. DC voltage (alternator output) is one consideration, but noise, transients and AC signals superimposed on DC takes an oscilloscope and a knowledgeable eye to understand and track down. I attended some entertaining talks by an Automotive expert from the Swiss research lab EMPA last week at a Failure Analysis conference in Portland, OR on why car electrical components die an early death.

2) Contamination: Sodium and other impurities can cause hot spot in the high purity quartz glass, or even impact the tungsten regenerative cycle. Are the bulbs going black inside? Take care not to touch or breath on the glass. Any indication of moisture buildup in the housings?

3) Vibration: Make sure the housings are well connected to the car body.

4) Try changing brands. Different internal construction can lead to resonant frequency issue and more rapid destruction. High output bulbs (these are a derivative of the high temp burners used in the old HIR series) attain those ratings by playing with materials, structure, resistance, etc. There is no single 'best fit' across all cars using this bulb.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Few things:
a) brighter the light = quicker they burn out. I had the Sylvania in wife's HL and replaced them about 6 month to year
b) sometimes if the contacts for the light are corroded, sliding in a new bulb works for a short time until they corrode again
c) found at least on the HL that others on this forum were also having short life with the Sylvania. Bought Phillips and haven't changed them in a few years now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2012 Prius had the same issue many bulb replacements switched to LEDs problem solved.Toyota sent a letter out acknowledging the high consumption rate of bulbs for the Prius it was like an insult just saying yeah we understand there’s a problem with the lightbulbs burning out. I think it’s the space that the bulbs are in it overheats the bulbs fail

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put LEDs in three years ago and drive 50,000 km a year and they have not failed there is definitely an issue with the space at these bulbs are in they get too hot

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
778 Posts
.... replaced the bulbs six times with Silverstar ...
That is the problem. Use a different brand or even LEDs if you can find the style to fit the housing and brightness. I had used Silverstars in the past, at best lasted just over a year, although replaced by the manufacturer, but, I had enough of them as they become UNreliable for away from home road trips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts