Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fixing 1 Piece at a Time
89 4x4 Pickup
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know of a good bright headlight for our trucks? I bought those "projection":lol: headlights (the ones with the little blue city light in them) off ebay a while ago to replace the stock candles that were in there and they are just as bad, if not worse, than the stock ones. So I'm looking for headlights that actually shine into the darkness of night rather than get beaten by dark air.
Any suggestions?

·
Not a Pre-runner
1,657 Posts
most people will tell you go get the expansive hella ones at $35-$40 each but, go back to ebay and get these autopal 200mm lights. i did the same thing as you and bought some cheap off brand clear lense ebay lights about 8 months ago and they were pretty crapy. i got these ones about a month ago and they are the best mod i have done to my truck so far. just spring for the ultra blue bulbs for another $4 (unless you have white bulbs already) other wise the light output is yellowish color. the low beam pattern on these is really good and has a sharp cutoff for this kind of reflector light and the high beams let me see about 6-7 blocks ahead of my truck.

·
Fixing 1 Piece at a Time
89 4x4 Pickup
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Robert.
I think I'm gonna get these, they're cheaper than the crappy ones I bought off ebay.

How do the ultra blue shine, and the ultra white (what's the difference)? Also, what wattage do you use?

·
Not a Pre-runner
1,657 Posts
the bulb that come with it are like the yellowish stock headlight color. the bulbs i run are whiteish/blue like silverstars which is what i like more but i didnt get them from this seller. they are actually the bulbs i got with my old crapy ebay lights. my bulbs are also just the normal 55/60 watts. if you go to a higher wattage you should really upgrade the harness.

·
Fixing 1 Piece at a Time
89 4x4 Pickup
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Robert. I'm gonna stick with the regular wattage if they work that well.

·
One with the farce
3,154 Posts
I tried some piaa bulbs and they were incredible, but I took them back because they were too tight in the socket and wouldn't screw in properly. They were also $90/pair - ACK!

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
I run the Hella conversion housings, and a pair of $8.00 Super Autobacs house brnad bulbs, enough for me. But I do cut in the procomps when I need "xtra" lighting :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think everyone could use a little more light dont you think? So this is an upgrade i was thinking of making myself.. They are ODOT legal right? Dont want to give the cops even more of reason to pull me over..

But i also wanted to know why I would want to upgrade my harness and what the intailed? Is that running a larger gauge wire to the head lights? And what if i stepped up the watts to 100/90 without upgrading the harness?

·
Registered
188 Posts
What does he mean city lights? In the ebay add? Does that mean normally he only includes the high beam buld and it has a 100 watt on the lefthand side and 60 watts on the right high beam side? sorry bout the stupid question..

·
Fixing 1 Piece at a Time
89 4x4 Pickup
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The way Robert describes his lights, I don't see any reason for the upgrade. I've never upgraded mine, but I think you can just buy a new harness with thicker wires so they can handle the larger wattage.

The city lights are useless. They're these stupid little blue lights the sit below the halogen, you can barely see them and yo have to wire them up. So I think they're a waist of time.

The wattage means (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the low beams are the lower wattage and the high beams are the higher wattage.

I'm probably gonna order these within the next couple of weeks. I'll let everyone know how they work out. If someone else gets them first, please fill us in. As long as they let me see more than a damn maglight's worth of light, I'll be happy.

·
Not a Pre-runner
1,657 Posts
i just got a new camera yesterday so i will take pics tonight of what mine look like.

·
Not a Pre-runner
1,657 Posts
hear are some pics...
low beams aimed at my garage door from about 20 feet.

High beams from same place

low beams on a dark road (thats a nice crack in my whindshield huh?)

high beams in same spot (sorry blury pic)

·
Registered
188 Posts
So are you still stating with the fact that its one of the best upgrades you did? and its legal?

·
Not a Pre-runner
1,657 Posts
yes, one of the best, but as for legal... they are not D.O.T. however, looking at the lense they are not a clear lense, they have lines and ridges like O.E. lights so people arnt going to notice they are aftermarket lights like they would if they were clear diamond cut or projectors, they look stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
First post so hi!!

Ok, about headlights. There are a couple of things Ive learned dealing with my eagle talon. The first is beam pattern. Pending on the sealed beam will greatly help how the light coming out spreads on the road. The second is the actual bulb itself. People always say getting 6000k bulbs are the brightest. While this might seem true anything above sun light, around 5250k-5500k you start losing visible light, so it seems like you are out running the light output during night driving.

If the beam patter on the aftermarket housings are fine, it could be that the bulbs sent with them are just so bright they arent putting out optimal visible light. I would suggest buying decent bulbs, such as silverstars before throwing down another 25-30 on another set of beams and see how it comes out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts