Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The headlights seem to turn on as I start the car and turn off when I shut off the engine. I believe this only happens at night...

I was never told about this feature. Is it standard? Is it supposed to do this? Can I, uhh, shut it off somehow?

Thanks in advance.

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
It's called Daytime Running lights and is a safety feature on all new cars.

I believe that if your emergency brake is engaged when you start your vehicle, the ligghts will stay off...but go on when you release the emergency brake.

There are a slew of ways to disable these lights...some a gheto...while others are quite slick. Do a search on the forums here and at 2003Corolla.org.

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
Yes they will come on day-or-night. I believe they are about 50% power of normal headlights (when you manually turn them on).

And there's no worries to your battery. These lights only come on when the engine is running - so they're powered by the alternator.

Perfectly safe. Perfectly normal. Personally I like them as they truly due aid against blind, idiot drivers. HEck I drive with my headlights on all the time so as to warn people that I'm bearing down on them. :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
They are required by law in Canada, but not in the US.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.