Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Camry CE

The headliner is starting to come loose and drop, at the very back edge by the rear window. It's not severe yet but I'd like to nip it before gets worse. With the slope of the rear window there's very little access angle so whatever glue used will need to be either sprayed, squeezed or carefully globbed up-and-over the edge of the headliner bead. Don't want it messy afterwards.

Suggestions, tips? I've considered using hot glue gun (potentially messy) and also some stuff Home Depot carries, "Shoe Glue" packaged for shoes obviously but meant to bind leather/fabric/other. I've also considered 3M Spray 77 which would hold really well but also would involve drop cloths and a whole lot of masking the interior to protect from overspray.

I can probably get a photo through the rear window, if that would help.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
3M spray adhesive is the way to go, and before spraying it on your car, practice with some cloth and a piece of cardboard: you'll find the pattern is very tight with little overspray.

I expect that if you put some blue painter's masking tape on the back window (and remove the quarter trim garnish) to keep spray off them you'll be able to keep the mess to a minimum.

If I recall correctly, it is a contact adhesive, meaning: let it dry on both surfaces first, and then carefully re-wrap the headliner cloth onto the substrate, working from the center towards the edges to prevent wrinkles. Finally, wrap and tuck the excess around and behind the edge of the headliner. Note that a contact adhesive only gives you one chance to get it right, once pressed together the two will be stuck, so move slowly and carefully to avoid a mess.

The headliner fabric covering is pretty soft, so take care not to overstretch it while working. Also, be careful not to over-apply the spray that it seeps through the fabric.

Norm

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
In most cases the center foam layer is disintegrating and glueing it will become an exercise in frustration. The solution is to remove the whole headliner, pull and scrape the old material then buy some replacement material and glue it back in.

If the foam is not turning into dust then you might succeed with a repair, but I would probably just replace the material which comes with new foam backing. Echo's don't do that since there was no foam layer in their headliners.

·
Super Moderator
12,682 Posts
My F150's headliner is coming apart. When I get to it, I'm gonna get the material here. Pretty cheap, and the fabric comes with the foam underlayer. You can request color samples to get a good match. And there are generic instructions on their website.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I removed the headliner completely, then glued the cloth back onto the fibreboard backing.
While I was there, I also added some sound deadening.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips guys. The foam underlayer appears to be in good shape, not crumbling, so going to the trouble of pulling the entire headliner seems not necessary at this point. I'm going to use 3M Spray 77, masking the rear glass and the first few inches of the headliner. The spray does have a tight pattern from practice runs on some scraps. If I can get decent photos I'll post em up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts