Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
03 Toyota Celica GTS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with my heated seats, this is the kit I purchased:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Heated-Seat-Two-Seats/dp/B00B1DCKL2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1391834501&sr=8-4&keywords=heated+seat+kit[/ame]

It didn't come with directions :/

This is what the set looks like (a photo I took earlier).

Not really sure where to wire everything... I have a location for the switches to go. I think I will run the wire under the carpet and then bring it through the center console and I have 2 ideas for the wires.

One- I could hook into a fuse with that "add a fuse" option like one of these guys [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HHH-ATM-Add-A-Fuse/dp/B000GKEXK2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391834615&sr=8-2&keywords=add+a+fuse[/ame]

Two- I could hook it into the cigarette lighter like another member suggested, but i'm kind of a pussy when it comes to splicing wires and all that lol...

-Also if you view the photo I'm not exactly sure what the "red" is. I think it's a relay? Not sure where I put that. I
-And the "blue" I think it is a 7.5 fuse Don't really understand what i'm supposed to do with it..

Finally I have no idea where to run the ground.

Sorry these are a lot of questions but I've never done anything like this to my car and i'm a noob when it comes to cars. But I want to learn.

-- 2003 Celica GTS Automatic --

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
So here's what I would do. Get some 12 gauge power wire in your choice of color, an inline fuse holder, some 12 gauge heat seal crimps, and a 12 gauge ring terminal. Add the ring terminal to the fuse holder wire on one side, connect the wire to the fuse holder on the other side with the heat seal crimp (buy a GOOD crimping pliers if you don't have them), seal it, then fish the wire through one of the rubber grommets on the bulkhead into the cabin, zip tie it loosely up to another wire bundle around to the center console area. Now, here's where things get a little fun. You need to make this a switched power so you don't leave the seats on and kill the battery by accident. I know, you'll never forget to turn them off...except that time when you do.

So, step two is learning how to wire up a relay. Now, we're near to the lighter socket for a good reason. You'll need to tap the lighter socket wire for your switched power and then do as directed...

But first let's see how a relay works, so you understand what you're doing which will make this easier if you need to modify the directions or have a problem.

As you can see a relay is just a switch that's controlled by electricity instead of your finger. So we need a switched power and a ground to flip the relay on and off, you can turn either the power or the ground on and off to turn the relay on or off. Finding a switched power is easier than figuring out how to control it through ground, however if you're clever you can use ground to do some cool stuff with relays but we don't need any of that right now. So that little coil inside is an electromagnet that pulls a little spring loaded arm over and makes contact to complete the higher power circuit. You control high amperage with low amperage, this is how your engine computer can run a fuel pump with just a tiny little circuit. So now that you know how a relay works here's what we do next...

So you'll need to get a relay and if you want a relay socket, however the pins on the relay are an exact fit for 1/4 inch spade terminals so you don't NEED the socket, it just makes it look a lot nicer. Here we go...connect the wire tapped to the lighter socket power (center wire on the socket, side is ground) to pin 86, connect your 12 gauge power from the battery to pin 30, connect the heated seats power wires to pin 87, and then put a wire on 85 with an eyelet and ground it to the vehicle body. Find a bolt that goes into metal on a bracket somewhere and put it under the head of the bolt. Ground the heated seats in the same way to the same location or a different one, ground is ground in this application.

Now, say you need to connect two wires to one pin on the relay, just strip off some extra insulation, twist them together tightly, then crimp them together with the spade or butt splice. You can solder them together first if you desire however once crimped correctly they'll be joined very well. Here's what I mean by good crimp pliers.

Bottom, bad. Top, good!

And here are what heat seal crimps look like. Use the top ones anytime you do anything that's not inside the cabin. I use the top style inside the cabin as well because the heat seal portion glues to the wire insulation and provides some strain relief for the crimped wire connection as well.

Consider your car a boat, both are operating in a saline environment.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Oh yea, as for the heated pads themselves...

The seat back is held on with a zipper at the top and I think some clips at the bottom, I don't think it's hog rings. You'll need the seats out of the car and you'll have to take the plastic garnishes off. I'm not 100% sure but you may need to remove the seat back from the seat bottom to get the cover off it but I don't think you do. Once it's off you just place the pad onto the area you want it and use a little 3M spray glue to tack it into place so it doesn't move around. You can stitch it if you have a long enough needle so it won't move if you don't want to use glue.

For the seat bottom I think you have hog rings. They must be cut to be removed, new ones are cheap cheap cheap. Like 100 for $5 or less. You don't NEED hog ring pliers but they're easier to use and cost about $10 online. If it's not hog rings then the covering is just folded into place and held with it's own tension, it'll be pretty apparent once the seat is out and upside down how it all works.

If you're taking the seat to get fixed then just have them install the pads as well while they have the seat out to fix it, I bet they can do you a two-fer deal on that, like $100 to do both or something.

·
Registered
03 Toyota Celica GTS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey man I must have read your post 4-5 times now and I still am completely lost...

My kit comes with a Relay and an inline fuse holder.. (See photo)

Not exactly sure what I need to buy and how to go about it lol.

·
Registered
03 Toyota Celica GTS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so i'm beginning to understand a little more now.

"Get some 12 gauge power wire in your choice of color, an inline fuse holder, some 12 gauge heat seal crimps, and a 12 gauge ring terminal. Add the ring terminal to the fuse holder wire on one side, connect the wire to the fuse holder on the other side with the heat seal crimp (buy a GOOD crimping pliers if you don't have them), seal it, then fish the wire through one of the rubber grommets on the bulkhead into the cabin, zip tie it loosely up to another wire bundle around to the center console area"

Just to clarify what i'm looking for, this is what I need to buy.

12 gauge wire = http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everstart-51654-76-04-Everstart-12-Gauge-12-Red-Primary-Wire/16880586

12 gauge ring terminal= http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/160587314282?lpid=82

12 gauge heat seal crimps = http://www.delcity.net/store/Heat-Shrink-Butt-Connectors/p_801794.h_801795.t_1.r_IF1003?gclid=CPS93N62v7wCFeJj7AodNyMAOA

Would I need another inline fuse holder? My seats came with one, won't that work?

Also how do I connect these to the battery...?

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Wire is good, ring terminal is not so good, butt crimp is good. You want a heat seal ring terminal, however if you crimp then solder the wire to the ring terminal it would be weather proof well enough given the battery is located pretty far back in the engine bay.

The reason you need a fuse near the battery is should something happen to the wire under the dash or under the hood and it shorts to ground (rubs on metal or accident damage) the fuse only protects the wiring down stream from it. The fuse on the heated seat protects the wiring after that fuse, so you need a fuse at the battery to protect the wiring from the battery, make sense?

To connect the ring terminal to the battery you take the nut off the positive post, put the terminal over the bolt, put the nut back on. Or you can get another nut (M6x1.0 thread I think) and just put the terminal on the bolt, then put a nut on to hold it. I'm assuming you still have the original battery terminals.

http://www.delcity.net/catalogdetails?item=953145 I think that's the ring terminal you need. You can find these and the butts at parts stores in assortments usually. To connect the smaller wire of the seat heater to the relay you may find that the wire from the relay socket or the 1/4 spade is a little large, you can strip extra wire and fold it in half to get a solid crimp, it's not ideal but it will work.

Here's a relay socket with relay.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Truck-Relay-Socket-SPDT/dp/B007JPPQH6/ref=pd_sim_e_6[/ame]
It gives you wires off the relay to work with, don't worry about it being 5 pins/wires. You simply won't use one of them unless you want to power something ONLY when the car is off, if that's the case (like a small security camera) then you can use the circuit you've made to do two different tasks with one run of wiring. You can get pretty creative when you understand how this stuff works!

·
Registered
03 Toyota Celica GTS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I was able to install one of my seats today! I did it the crap way, using a "add a circuit" and hooked it into the fuse box. I hooked it into my stop lights. It works great and I was able to ground it. Only problem is, like you said, it stays on even when car is off.

That being said, I'm going to buy all the stuff on your list and do it the correct way, but in the mean time i'll just be extra cautious. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts