Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Tacoma
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I place the heated seats to high, the heat seems very mild. In my last Toyota Tacoma, the heated seats were very warm & needed to turn down the temperature after a few minutes. Going to take it to the dealer next week to check it out. Hopefully there is a way to increase the temperature via computer. The rear seats act the same :-(

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I place the heated seats to high, the heat seems very mild. In my last Toyota Tacoma, the heated seats were very warm & needed to turn down the temperature after a few minutes. Going to take it to the dealer next week to check it out. Hopefully there is a way to increase the temperature via computer. The rear seats act the same :-(
We noticed same thing when we were test driving. A Strike against highlander. Pros /Cons

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
I'd say that they don't feel very hot instantly, but after 10-15 minutes on high I find myself turning it down to medium. That's with it being in the low 30's F outside. It might get a lot colder later this week, so I'll see what happens then.

I think this one is a matter of personal preference, as comments about the heat or lack thereof were out there for the 3rd Gen too.

·
Registered
2016 Tacoma
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say that they don't feel very hot instantly, but after 10-15 minutes on high I find myself turning it down to medium. That's with it being in the low 30's F outside. It might get a lot colder later this week, so I'll see what happens then.

I think this one is a matter of personal preference, as comments about the heat or lack thereof were out there for the 3rd Gen too.
True about the personal preference. I was comparing it to my former 2016 Tacoma. The heated seats were great in that model. I live in MA & could use warmer seats during this time of year.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Just wondering if either you were wearing the same clothing/pants or having the same leather seat material when comparing? I do likewise feel the heat in the HLs seats do not rise very quickly but after 10-15 minutes, as toto already stated, do get high enough to turn down the temp.

·
Registered
'18 HL Ltd, '19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
892 Posts
It's night and day between my Highlander and Acadia. Acadia seats will be warm within a few minutes, with the HL the heater will be blowing warm air about the same time as I feel the seats warming.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
True about the personal preference. I was comparing it to my former 2016 Tacoma. The heated seats were great in that model. I live in MA & could use warmer seats during this time of year.
I'll have to compare to my 2018 Tacoma at some point. I don't think of the Taco seats being that much warmer, but I'll keep it in mind going forward.
Then again, maybe your 2016 seats were really warm because there was an issue with 2016-17 Tacos burning out the seat heater control module with too much current.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Hey, perhaps its Toyota's way of hinting 😉 that all HL owners have some hot rears, therefore, the likelihood of further fast warming is not as necessary... may even lead to premature seat leather cracking... 🤔

·
Registered
2016 Tacoma
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wondering if either you were wearing the same clothing/pants or having the same leather seat material when comparing? I do likewise feel the heat in the HLs seats do not rise very quickly but after 10-15 minutes, as toto already stated, do get high enough to turn down the temp.
FYI.....Wife & I always wear jeans & medium winter jackets. Our former 2016 Tacoma had cloth seats.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I noticed this on my 2020 HL Limited as well. Even on high after 20 minutes, the seats are barely warm. Just to see, I tested out the cooling yesterday— same thing. On high, it barely blows cool air. My steering wheel barely gets warm either. Quite disappointed. Be sure to let us know what the dealer says.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very interested in what the dealer says to. Small things like this is what is making me question going with the Highlander versus another vehicle.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I noticed this on my 2020 HL Limited as well. Even on high after 20 minutes, the seats are barely warm. Just to see, I tested out the cooling yesterday— same thing. On high, it barely blows cool air. My steering wheel barely gets warm either. Quite disappointed. Be sure to let us know what the dealer says.
The ventilated seats are just circulating the air inside the Highlander. If the air inside is warm, it’ll be like a warm fan blowing on your butt.

When I first got my 4Runner with ventilated seats, I was a little disappointed that I could barely feel the ventilation, even at the max setting. However, I still turn it on most of the time when I drive. I think it helps, even if it’s just a little. This is one of the features I’ll miss on the Model Y —it has seat heaters only.

·
Registered
279 Posts
On our Avalon, the Cooling, is WAY more colder than the inside air? It get's cold enough that my back can become uncomfortably cold.

·
Registered
2016 Tacoma
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heated seats will be tested at the dealer this coming Monday. As far as the heated steering wheel, mine works find. No issues

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
After starting and driving in 10 F temperatures tonight, I'm now on the page with the others that the 2020 seat heaters are a little weaker than the 3rd Gen. It took several minutes for the seat heaters to become noticeable on high. As time went on they were plenty warm, but it took a while.

Another difference is in the heated steering wheel. On the 2020, it gets downright HOT. The 3rd Gen wasn't that hot, and I noticed my hands could suck the heat out of the wheel and I'd have to reposition them often to get to a warm area. The 2020's heating element is centered at 9 and 3 on the wheel (next to where all the buttons are), and it's hot to the touch in that area after just a couple of minutes. Then it cools off surprisingly fast after turning it off.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
69 Posts
Ruby and I drove to work together today. Translation we were on the freeway over an hour each way.

The vented seats are not as cooling as my friend’s Dodge seats. They do have some effect. It was sunny today and I was under the moon roof glass.

I accidentally tested the heated steering wheel. I just thought it was warm from the sun. It does heat up in sections. I turned it off after I kind of noticed it was on.

Did not heat the seats, no need today.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
heated seats heat up WAY faster then my Genesis did....and about the same heat amount.
cooled seats...not as good as the Genesis and fan is louder too, but they are still pretty decent.
Steering wheel....didn't have that in the Genesis (go figure)....but it is downright awesome in the Highlander and my wife LOVES it.

I also LOVE that they remember they were on and at what setting when I stop and then start the car. Same with the E-brake...never have to touch that thing again....off when in D and on when in P. perfect.

·
Registered
Toyota Camry, 2014
3 Posts
I definitely agree with people here, it's either you were not wearing the same clothing or just didn't let enough time pass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not to side track the thread but since this discussion is on seats I was wondering about the bench seats. Does anyone know if the back of the bench seats have the ability to recline or if I want the seat to recline I need captains chairs? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts