Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about this problem back in mid July. The interior heater, A/C fan is not working, at all. I did a search through the forums about similar problems, and went ahead and replaced the blower motor resistor. However, this did not solve the problem. I went through the fuse box, and no fuses were blown, but there are several relays up there assoicated with that fan.
Any other thoughts? Suggestions? Its been really hot here, and not having a fan or A/C is getting a little annoying.
Thanks, just want to get this resolved.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Your best bet might be to take it to an auto electrician.

If you want to try yourself...You simply start at one end and check everything until you find the fault and then continue checking until you get to the other end. When I say check everything, that is exactly what I mean...Fuses must be checked with a meter. They can look good but be blown. Take those relays out and check them with a meter. Check all the wiring with a meter or test lamp. Take the fan motor out and check it with a meter. Check the motor brushes and bearing and wires in the motor.

In winter, rats and mice will sometimes get into cars to excape the cold. They will chew through wires and other things. So while you are checking things, keep an eye open for anything that might look like it has been chewed.

That's it. There are so many possible causes that you just have to check everything.

What year is your RAV? I can look up the wire diagram and see if there are fusable links etc which would be the first things to check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, its a 2004.
I started pulling fuses and relays, but all the fuses visually looked good. I'll see about getting a meter on them.
I've had the mouse nest problem before in another car, I don't think that is this problem. It was almost all of a sudden. One day the fan works, the next, nothing.
I replaced the resistor, again because it was the culprit in another vehicle with the same problem. After replacing it, and it not solving the problem, I'm still glad I did, the old resistor was looking pretty bad.

·
Registered
37 Posts
OK...You have a 100amp fuse at the battery end of the circuit. It should be in the main fuse box. It will not look like a normal fuse..it will look more like a relay but it will be marked. You then have a 30amp fuse at the other end. Again this 30amp should be in the main fuse box and again will likely look more like a relay than a fuse. Err on the side of caution and use a meter to check them.

There is another 30amp fuse on fan1 relay which is the engine fan.

There are 3 relays. They are linked together. Pin 1 on each relay is linked and fused with a 10amp fuse. This fuse will look like a normal fuse.

Pins 2 and 3 are also linked together, so that all pin 3 are linked and all pin2 are linked. Pins 1 and 2 is the coil and pins 3 and 5 the switch. The pins should be marked.

It looks like there are 2 diodes inside the fan motor....You might be able to test them by checking for a oneway circuit between ground and pin 1 on relay 3.

That all I have time for right now...I have a meeting to get to :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts