Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Wishin' I was Fishin'
2008 Tundra
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had one of my heater control backlighting bulbs burn out, as seems to be fairly common on these trucks.

I had trouble with the idea of spending $12-15 per bulb at the stealership and have trouble getting to one while they are open, so I did a bit of detective work. I googled the toyota part number, which gave me a description - a 1.8W 14V neo-wedge bulb. Taking this info, I was able to cross reference this to a bulb KT928 on a couple of websites, and I ended up ordering a ten pack for $17.99 + shipping from candlepower inc's online store. I received them today, and they are a perfect direct replacement.

So, for roughly the price of two from the dealer, I won't ever need to buy more of these again. The place I got them sells them individually as well, for very reasonable $$.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
So, for roughly the price of two from the dealer, I won't ever need to buy more of these again.

Well, I don't know about ever. I just knocked out my 3rd one, and i am only at 107k. Popped my heater controls out to look something up for someone here, and had a dead one when I put it back

Thanks for the tip, I did not like the LED ones, which are cheap too. will order before the weekend.

·
Wishin' I was Fishin'
2008 Tundra
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, I don't know about ever. I just knocked out my 3rd one, and i am only at 107k. Popped my heater controls out to look something up for someone here, and had a dead one when I put it back
The vendor says they will far outlast OEM bulbs, but who knows. Doesn't every vendor say only wonderfull things about their product?:rolleyes: The bulbs I got are made in Japan by Stanley.

I looked at a few LED choices as well, but was worried about uneven lighting, especially with the fibre-optic (or whatever you call it) button backlighting.

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,675 Posts
I understand your reasoning, I paid $10-$12 for 1 lousy bulb a year ago. BUT, in my 160K or driving this truck I have replaced only 1 bulb. I already have a box of odd ball bulbs that only fit the dash of my '53 Ford turn signals. It would be my luck to buy a box of these and never need another bulb.

You know of course, now that I said this, I will have another dash bulb burn out. Hey, now I know someone who has a whole box who may want to sell them off one at a time .. LOL

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,044 Posts

Thanks for the tip, I did not like the LED ones, which are cheap too. will order before the weekend.
3? I haven't had one go yet! (over 116K miles and have another year on you). BTW, another week and the Moose will be 7 years old!

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
3? I haven't had one go yet! (over 116K miles and have another year on you).
Didn't blow any pulling radio for the ipod connections 3-4 times, but pulling it to do the lighted 4wd switch blew one, then I replaced them with LEDs, bought 2 new bulbs, replaced LEDs with 1 new and one old, old bulb immediately died when I snapped the console in.

Then, last week, I checked the resistance settings of the heater switches, and lost a bulb immediately afterward. Them bulbs do not like me.

·
Wishin' I was Fishin'
2008 Tundra
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
but pulling it to do the lighted 4wd switch blew one.
Oh, hey, that reminds me. Does the 4X4 switch mod use that same bulb? It looks like it would fit the socket in the back of the switch, and I'm assuming the two empty pins of it's connector feed the bulb contacts. I have yet to look into the matter as far as what the common mod method is, maybe one day when I'm bored.:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Oh, hey, that reminds me. Does the 4X4 switch mod use that same bulb? It looks like it would fit the socket in the back of the switch, and I'm assuming the two empty pins of it's connector feed the bulb contacts. I have yet to look into the matter as far as what the common mod method is, maybe one day when I'm bored.
I bought a kit from someone on TN, it was a board and I think there was 4 LEDs on the board. But it seems one should do it, and the same bulb looks like it should fit, but don't take that as fact.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts

·
Wishin' I was Fishin'
2008 Tundra
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/neox-xhp/

Found some decent ones, about the same brightness as the stock bulbs.
Good find, nice wide beam pattern on those according to the spec - 120degrees. I'm still sitting on some extra incandescents here...:D

Oh, hey, that reminds me. Does the 4X4 switch mod use that same bulb? It looks like it would fit the socket in the back of the switch, and I'm assuming the two empty pins of it's connector feed the bulb contacts. I have yet to look into the matter as far as what the common mod method is, maybe one day when I'm bored.:cool:
I never updated this, but I tried the single bulb in the 4x4 switch. The two unused pins do power the bulb terminals in the switch, so I tied into the heater control light wiring, and it does work. Sorta. There must be a "fibre optic" plastic plate or some such thing used when factory intends to iluminate the switch, because only the 4hi really lights up, where 2hi and 4lo remain very dim. It looks pretty bad as it is, so I'm going to just remove it when I get to it. I'm OK with groping for things in the dark.:cool:

·
Banned
124 Posts
A "Padiddle" only means one burnt out headlight bulb,, I figure you can't use the term "padiddle" to discribe a dash light out.
I had a problem in the past when my other vehicle had a burnt out headlight bulb and going to auto parts stores and the guys behind the counter had NO idea what a "padiddle" is.
I simply walked in and told the guy at the parts counter my vehicle has a "padiddle" with the year, make and model and I need the part to correct that "Padiddle".
The parts guys said they couldn't help me that was a dealer item, I told them I am sure they have the part on stock and if they don't know what a "padiddle" is i would be happy to explain it to them,, one guy thought I was talking about a brake pedal pad,,, 2 different auto parts stores had no idea what a "padiddle" is,,, I ended up at Wal Mart finding the right bulb I needed myself.
Maybe you guys also had problems dealing with stupid guys behind an auto parts counter, once I simply went in and asked for some 3/16 vacuum hose and the parts guy asked how long do I need?

·
Registered
1 Posts
just changed my climate control. switched over to led. superbrightleds.com the neo4-?hp works perfectly, maybe a little tight, but works fine. the ? would be the color i went back with amber, so it neo4-ahp. they were $2.29 ea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts