Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i can't figure out what these two hoses are:

also, where can i find reliable specs for these hoses? i ordered a couple of gates hoses but they don't look like they are a correct fit. i have some general, non-fitted 5/16 and 5/8 gates heater hose, but i get the impression they would kink if they aren't molded?

also, it looks like there is also another layer of hose around some of them? what is that...some kind of heat insulation?

update: ok, looks like those are the hoses that go to and from the throttle body.

so do most people buy exact fit hoses from the dealer, or do they fit generic hose, and what's the best way to bend the hose besides using a bunch of those expensive hose bending springs?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update #2: ok, no luck finding molded hoses locally with the exception of the one i already have that now i think is going to fit, and it so happens to be the one that is badly contaminated. looks like ya gotta go through dealer or toyotapartszone to get molded for any of these other hoses. i guess i do get lucky sometimes.

question: haynes manual says to replace all hoses every 2 years...seems excessive. dealer told me that even though my hoses are 16 years old that he's seen them go longer and that they never replace them unless there is reason to anticipate a failure. which is right? the latter idea makes sense when you are paying $50 bucks a pop like the dealer wants me to do. changing every 2 years makes sense if i'm going to go with commodity unmolded bulk hose, but is that worth the monkeying around?

final question pertains to this photo:

you can see the hose that was badly contaminated due to the leaky distributor o ring. i'm replacing that one. I've circled the throttle body coolant return hose. does this hose need to be replaced? it looks like it barely escaped contamination due to there being a slight incline just before the hose mates, but that might just be where my Engine Brite Gel spray was able to reach when i detailed the engine compartment earlier this summer. i could try to replace it with my bulk 5/16"ID hose, but i wouldn't want to take the old one off unless i know that it will be a precise fit, and that the bulk hose route won't be a disaster here. other option is to wait for the dealer to get it in from california or to go expedited shipping from toyotapartszone, spend 40 bucks and still wait too long.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
update: scanning o reilly's website i don't see that they stock any 5/16"ID hose that is used for coolant, so this isn't the hose i thought i bought for that purpose and it is most likely not coolant compatible. so now i need to find out what inside diameter the throttle body return hose is for sure before i rip it out.

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
16,189 Posts
i can't figure out what these two hoses are:

TB coolant hoses.

also, where can i find reliable specs for these hoses? i ordered a couple of gates hoses but they don't look like they are a correct fit. i have some general, non-fitted 5/16 and 5/8 gates heater hose, but i get the impression they would kink if they aren't molded?
They will kink. Toyota should have them. If not, any autoparts store should be able to get them if you can i.d. them. The 5sfe was probably the most mass produced Toyota motor next to the 22r/22re.

also, it looks like there is also another layer of hose around some of them? what is that...some kind of heat insulation?
Yep. Insulation.

update: ok, looks like those are the hoses that go to and from the throttle body.

so do most people buy exact fit hoses from the dealer, or do they fit generic hose, and what's the best way to bend the hose besides using a bunch of those expensive hose bending springs?
Thats what I thought. I'd get exact fit from the dealer tho the coolant going to the TB isn't 100% necessary. A lot of people just route the in to the out on the motor and by-pass the TB all together. A google search will give you access to different opinions on the subject.

If you use the springs just place one at every bend to keep it from kinking too much.

update #2: ok, no luck finding molded hoses locally with the exception of the one i already have that now i think is going to fit, and it so happens to be the one that is badly contaminated. looks like ya gotta go through dealer or toyotapartszone to get molded for any of these other hoses. i guess i do get lucky sometimes.
Try one of our parts guys here on TN. They might be able to give you a discount for being a member.

question: haynes manual says to replace all hoses every 2 years...seems excessive. dealer told me that even though my hoses are 16 years old that he's seen them go longer and that they never replace them unless there is reason to anticipate a failure. which is right? the latter idea makes sense when you are paying $50 bucks a pop like the dealer wants me to do. changing every 2 years makes sense if i'm going to go with commodity unmolded bulk hose, but is that worth the monkeying around?
I would just replace em with dealer hoses and save yourself the future headaches. If the dealer stuff has lasted this long, it'll probably be the last time you ever replace them.

final question pertains to this photo:

you can see the hose that was badly contaminated due to the leaky distributor o ring. i'm replacing that one. I've circled the throttle body coolant return hose. does this hose need to be replaced? it looks like it barely escaped contamination due to there being a slight incline just before the hose mates, but that might just be where my Engine Brite Gel spray was able to reach when i detailed the engine compartment earlier this summer. i could try to replace it with my bulk 5/16"ID hose, but i wouldn't want to take the old one off unless i know that it will be a precise fit, and that the bulk hose route won't be a disaster here. other option is to wait for the dealer to get it in from california or to go expedited shipping from toyotapartszone, spend 40 bucks and still wait too long.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That said, while you got the other hoses off, it'll be easier to get to.

update: scanning o reilly's website i don't see that they stock any 5/16"ID hose that is used for coolant, so this isn't the hose i thought i bought for that purpose and it is most likely not coolant compatible. so now i need to find out what inside diameter the throttle body return hose is for sure before i rip it out.
I found the same thing when I was replacing the hoses on my truck. It took forever to find the right diameter fuel and/or antifreeze resistant hoses. I ended up calling around to a bunch of different places and finally paying too much thru a 50's Chevy parts dealer.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i live in minnesota, so i need those throttle body lines. if they kink up a little and coolant goes through there kinda slowly, will that be enough to fight of 120 degree weather?

the OEM parts are gonna take till next week to get and i have to get this running before then. who are the parts guys you are talking about?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i live in minnesota, so i need those throttle body lines. if they kink up a little and coolant goes through there kinda slowly, will that be enough to fight of 120 degree weather?

the OEM parts are gonna take till next week to get and i have to get this running before then. who are the parts guys you are talking about?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just spoke to a tech support rep from Gates and thought I would post it back here for posterity or anyone else looking to do this job. He said they actually go and put their hands on the cars in order to compile their database (which is data that oreilly's and autozone don't seem to have access to).

so for a 2.2 95 celly, it is going to be 5/16"ID for the throttle body hose to and fro, and 5/8"ID for the hose going from the outlet to the heater control valve, and also from the valve to the firewall. he also said that if there was likely hood of a kink that required shaping springs he thinks his file would have notes indicating so.

i just read on about.com that you are supposed to cut away and not twist or pull the hose from the firewall. i hope i didn't just break the hose to my heater core. :facepalm: you think i'll just smell antifreeze right away in the cabin if i did?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.