Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Camry LE 5S-FE Automatic Kentucky built
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my rad, heater core and various coolant hoses. There is a dayco P/N 80271 which is 50 ft of 5/8 heater hose. This is just regular bulk hose instead of the molded pieces. Has anyone gone this route? How did it work out? Is it ugly?

Just looking for insights on that and also how do I add the proper amount of coolant back in after I do a complete flush if the only coolant I can get my hands on is a 50/50 pre mix of the Canadian Tire 'oem Toyota red' coolant.

If I drain the rad and block after flushing and just fill it up full with the premix and burp, will it be ok? Or is there still a fair amount of water left in block even after draining with the plug on back?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,751 Posts
Why are you flushing with water?

Bulk hose is OK if you don't need pre-molded bends. The bulk may collapse if the bends are too tight.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why are you flushing with water?

Bulk hose is OK if you don't need pre-molded bends. The bulk may collapse if the bends are too tight.
I'm flushing because I have no idea how well maintained the vehicle was before I got it. The trans and diff fluid was from the factory I think so I'm assuming the coolant was factory up until the previous owner had the water pump and timing belt done a year or two ago. The current coolant is green and I'm worried it might not be the best coolant so I'm switching over to the Asian red coolant and flushing in between.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,751 Posts
I'm flushing because I have no idea how well maintained the vehicle was before I got it.
What condition (visually) is the fluid?

up until the previous owner had the water pump and timing belt done a year or two ago.
Fluid would have been changed then. If you don't see rust or slimy things like oil then you'll be fine just draining the rad couple times and refilling with new.

The current coolant is green and I'm worried it might not be the best coolant so I'm switching over to the Asian red coolant and flushing in between.
I've used Walmart green ever since I've owned my Camry, also use it in my 2003 Ford and 2017 Sonata. Nothing wrong with green. Yo can buy the concentrate and mix it with Walmart distilled water 50/50.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used Walmart green ever since I've owned my Camry, also use it in my 2003 Ford and 2017 Sonata. Nothing wrong with green. Yo can buy the concentrate and mix it with Walmart distilled water 50/50.
This is good to know, I was concerned about the green coolant causing damage; pitting, sand, etc. I had the coolant tested at a shop and they said it tested very well so I figured it must of been new.

I haven't visually inspected coolant besides what's in the expansion tank and that looks yellowish brown. There is also some crud around the lid of the expansion tank so I'm concerned on how that got there.

I just bought a Denso rad, both rad hoses, and bulk heater hose. I'm just waiting for them to arrive and I'll swap those out and install a new thermostat and a freeze plug style block heater.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,751 Posts
5 year Walmart green, just do a rad coolant change every 2 years - you'll be good. You can drain and flush the overflow tank as that may tend to trap some solids on the bottom.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,171 Posts
Not sure what "Walmart green" actually means. The color, unfortunately, of coolant doesn't mean much, since various makers use whatever color they want (sadly, the industry didn't set a standard).

If it means the old fashioned green IAT coolant, high in phosphates and silicates, meant to protect cast iron engine blocks and cylinder heads from internal corrosion, when used in an all aluminum engine the silicates percipitate out as sand. I tore down a used 200k motor that had been run on IAT green for years, and every gallery had this fine yellow slit built up in it, and the heater core solder failed at the joints when I touched it.

So called "Asian red" silicate free HOAT coolant is what Toyota calls for (sold by various makers, like Zerex), and helps the engines to last the longest.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,751 Posts
Not sure what "Walmart green" actually means.
I guess it's my term for Walmart's 5 year non-silcate SuperTech anti-freeze. Been using it for years and 260,000 on my Camry with no coolant issues.

So called "Asian red" silicate free HOAT coolant is what Toyota calls for (sold by various makers, like Zerex), and helps the engines to last the longest.
It works but is unnecessary and no reason to spend the extra money from my experience.

·
Registered
92 Posts
First, as one would expect, there have been similar discussions, after buying a used car, on the issues of coolant type/color/brand, and flush (and tap water vs distilled) vs drain & fill. For example:

Coolant color brand

"the coolant capacity for my I4 is 7.3 qt, and I used about 1 gallon with drain & fill last time. So each drain & fill replaces about 55%."

95' Camry 1 MZFE Coolant Flush

Second, at least based on a brief survey of Walmart in the US and Canadian Tire in Canada, it's unlikely that people would still be buying "conventional green" recently whether in the US or Canada.

So it's unlikely that you would have "conventional green" if it's clean/new. Nevertheless, it never hurts to be prudent, and I am not doubting that "conventional green" was common at a time.

Third, this might be going off topic, but one big change in the last year (since the linked discussions above) is that some manufacturers are guaranteeing 10 years/300,000 miles.

This change might affect one's choice, and also what one might do going forward. (Previously, I had settled on drain & fill every 3 years; after my next drain & fill, I wonder if I will do that every 6 years?)

Edit to add: It's been a while, but I don't recall seeing "conventional green" at my Walmart. On https://www.walmart.com/browse/oils-and-fluids/antifreeze-car-coolants/91083_1104294_1218936, click on "Free pickup today" (i.e., available in store). Prestone is showing as the top seller.

If you click on "Deliver To Home", I do see Zerex Original Green and Prestone AF3300 Prime Green sold and shipped by Zoro, but I doubt regular retail shoppers would go that route (again, I'd expect people to just grab Prestone).

I am not sure I can identify "conventional green" on Canadian Tire's website: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automotive/oils-fluids-additives-chemicals/antifreeze-coolant-system-addives-chemicals.html

Edit to add: Prestone is guaranteeing 10 years/300,000 miles, so drain & fill every 6 years does not seem unreasonable. (Whereas Toyota is not guaranteeing anything regarding the ATF, just like one might read the manual to mean the timing belt does not need to be changed: Timing Belt may Not need to be replaced)

Edit to add: A lot more discussions here: Cooling System Fluids & Additives

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,751 Posts
We went through this not too long ago:

I don't know how regular retail shoppers can even buy "conventional green" these days (though I am not doubting they were common at a time).
Just go to the Walmart shelf.

Do you also feel comfortable with factory lifetime automatic transmission fluid?

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,171 Posts
If the Walmart green coolant is a silicate free HOAT, then it sounds like it is equivalent to the "Asian red", and should be fine.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,751 Posts
If the Walmart green coolant is a silicate free HOAT, then it sounds like it is equivalent to the "Asian red", and should be fine.
From what I've been able to research Walmart's Supertech is manufactured by "Kost USA" Antifreeze/Coolants - KOST USA, Inc. - Cincinnati, Ohio

I think they've changed manufacturers, but the last time I bought SuperTech concentrate AF the jug said "no silicates".

I've emailed Kost and asked if their SuperTech brand contains silicates. They do not advertise that they make for Walmart. But I've never had any problems with Supertech 5 year all the years I've used it. And the containers all say compatible with all types of antifreeze.

I think people are overthinking this.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,751 Posts
Edit to add: It's been a while, but I don't recall seeing "conventional green" at my Walmart.
Is your Walmart in Canada, since you mention Canadian Tire. Canada Walmart is probably different than U.S. Canadian Tire would probably sell it's own brand?? IDK

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the coolant that Canadian Tire has for Toyota's. Walmart I am unsure as here in Canada I didn't even realize they had much automotive stuff.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,171 Posts
"I think people are overthinking this."

its only 'overthinking' if it is unwarranted, but since Toyota specifically calls for silicate free coolant, and since by now most GEN3 & 4 owners are looking for way more than 100k miles from their cars, and since I've seen first hand the damage that long term use of "old fashioned green" IAT coolant (high silicate/high phosphate) can do to a Toyota engine, its only being prudent to make sure that silicate free is recommended when someone writes in here for advice.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,171 Posts
By the way, no one has really answered OP's original question: will bulk hose work?
The only reply they have gotten, so far, is, "if pre-bended isn't necessary", but that kind of dodges the question, because ALL of the hoses are pre-bent. I am also curious, because one of the heater hoses on the Gen3 3VZ engine is no longer available new, from any source, and am getting ready to put it back together, and the original hose was too badly swollen and fused onto the tubes to be possibly reused. I bought a similarly shaped 1MZ hose and am hoping it will be close enough.

If really in a bind, one could buy some pieces of pre-bent hoses from a friendly auto parts store who would be willing to find closest matches from their stock, use pieces from them for the ends and then make the rest of it from mandrel bent copper or aluminum pipe for the rest of the route. This has been my "backup plan" if the 1MZ won't fit, and would be my advice to OP if stuck, if trying to use bulk hose doesn't work out.

Another idea, if only one sharp bend is the concern, is to install a spring around the outside of the hose to help prevent it from kinking/collapsing in that corner. Some hose suppliers even sell springs for just this purpose:

·
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4
'93 V6 wagon, '94 I4
929 Posts
I guess the answer is that you can use bulk hose unless the bends are so severe that the hose kinks, then you have to use pre-formed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will report back on my findings, I have the 50ft roll of 5/8 heater hose coming.
I've seen those spring hose benders and will try them if it's really bad. The OEM hoses look fairly good just some wear at the ends of the hoses where they are clamped but I opted to grab some hose just in case. I also ordered gates upper and lower rad hoses but from what I've read the OEM rad hoses last forever.

I also grabbed a foaming AC coil cleaner and a deodorizer bomb to freshen and clean the system up some.

Thanks for all the advice, the previous owner had the timing belt done at a local independent shop and I'm assuming the coolant they used to refill it was compatible so I think I'll just catch and reuse the coolant I have when I swap the rad and heater core out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts