Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88 camry without A/C and automatic temp system. At times it won't heat. I've checked the hoses, stat, heater control valve, etc. When it quits blowing warm air i can hear something in the heater box moving, then it blows cold. Is someting opening the air vent into the system? I pulled the control panel and sprayed the switches with WD-40, that helped for awile. There is 2 little control boxes, 1 behind the radio, and 1 under the heater box, all electronic. I didn't see any vacuum hoses to any of the heating system. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I'm pretty sure that there are plastic louvers inside the heater box that direct the air flow. I don't know how they are controled but it sure sounds like that is the problem.

Kep

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
there is a thread floating around on how to fix this. its actually the push button control unit itself. there's a few points youll have to resolder. Do a search and youll find it, or hit the junk yard and pick up a new one.

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
Yup, same problem I had last winter when it hit 25 below freezing. Hit a scrap yard and replace the vent control module in the center console (it has a rheostat in it which controls the vents). It fixed my problem perfectly. Soldering the rheostat apparently doesn't fix the problem for long...

·
NYR
509 Posts
Tommy said:
there is a thread floating around on how to fix this. its actually the push button control unit itself. there's a few points youll have to resolder. Do a search and youll find it, or hit the junk yard and pick up a new one.
yup!
Thank goodness my Cam doesnt have often faulty pushbutton controls........ya gotta love the old fasioned slide controls!!

·
OldSchool Yota Enthusiast
170 Posts

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
^^ Yer not kidding, ROBS. For the first time in memory I'm jealous of the snow YOU'RE getting. It's almost brown here. :sosad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts