Toyota Nation Forum banner

Heater Problems?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Sidney 
#1 ·
Yesterday the controls for my heater all stopped working. Its either off or the highest level works. What can this be and is it expensive? Should I go dealer or junkyard? HELP!!:eek::

#2 ·
99.9% it's your blower resistors. Dealer is probably $40-60 for the part. Or try e-bay, etc. Usually located on passenger side under glovebox area. The resistors are not visible because they are inside the plenum (heater box) but one or two screws hold a connector with wires coming from the switch. Unplug the connector, remove the screw(s) and work the resistor pack out of the hole. There are many threads with various schemes to make repairs but think you'll find it easier to simply replace the unit.

#4 ·
What Dave said, only a lot cheaper. I recently replaced the heater blower resistor on my '85, and the dealership part cost just over $13. It's mounted on the backside of the blower housing, which is underneath the dash on the passenger's side. If only all repairs were this inexpensive and simple.

#6 ·
well lets see if yall can help me. i have a 78 and it blows cold, no heat at any level. the temp guage barely moves off "C", and i checked all the fuses.

not trying to hijack your thread man
try a new thermostat, or it could be the heater core. My girlfriend said her car wouldnt get warm, so i checked the anti-freeze and it was bone dry, just something to keep in mind.

#7 ·
If your heater control setting only runs on low or no speed settings,replace resistor:

Heavy blower resistor (Toy EPC calls it a cooler/coil resistor,fan coil resistor) for fan # 88635-89103 (85-86 4-Runner,4 speed fan) & 87138-89105 (89 pickup)

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Blower.shtml

Sidney® ™
Repairs TV's,VCR's,home/car audio out of my apartment
E-mail:sidneybek(at)yahoo.com
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia
Canada

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.