Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what a heel toe downshift is, and how to do it (as in, I know the process), however, on my car (see sig), is there any way to do this with the gas being recessed like it is? I know Toyota did this so a dumb soccer mom wouldn't accidentally mash the gas when hitting the brakes (I remember the Audi incident, stupid bitch) - however, in most cases, for good heel toe downshifts, does the gas pedle need to be on the same plain as the brake? My feet are huge (size 14 EEEE shoes), and I have trouble.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
No, you're just wanting to tap it so it revs it up enough to match the RPMs. I've been praticing my heel toe in the touge near my parents in my civic. I have huge shoes also (size 13) but I have a pair of shoes that I use soley for heel toe (yes, I know that sounds stupid but the other ones get caught in on my brake pedal). Try to get some comfy sneakers and see if that works. OR you can do what my friends do and get a bigger brake pedal or a bigger accelorator pedal.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the Civic might work, but I just got back from playing, and not a chance in hell in my Camry. However, if I raised the gas, it would be easy(ier)

·
Diablo
05 Altima SER+93 Cam
353 Posts
I try to do that often in my car but I think my problem is that my feet are too small lol.. Size 7.5 here :disappoin

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
its not stupid at all having another pair of shoes to do heel-toe in...i have some super flexible and soft tennis shoes that i wear when i race. a lot of auto-x/track friends i know have wrestling shoes that they wear...they are cheaper than the racing shoes that some places sell and are basically the same thing.

like UFOz said just sit in the driveway and practice it a good deal...become familiar with it and give it time. i still am working on doing it better myself, along with left foot braking too in my '89 5spd MR2 :)

Keri

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly, I physically have trouble getting my foot to go from the edge of the brake to ANYWHERE on the gas pedel. Be it big toe on brake, little toe on gas, or sideways. I physically cannot get my foot to wedge in there.

I can see if the pedels were closer, I would have no problem.

I wonder if I can attach a spacer to the gas to raise the height up :)

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,626 Posts
Why bother? It's pointless.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
xpeed said:
:confused:

Oh really?

Remind me not to sponser your race team.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,623 Posts
xpeed said:
Or... talk to me when your synchros go out early.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,623 Posts
ripley's99 said:
a lot of auto-x/track friends i know have wrestling shoes that they wear...they are cheaper than the racing shoes that some places sell and are basically the same thing.
Keri
Watch out with wrestling shoes - they are not flame retardant... That's the reason real racing shoes are more expensive. Just a safety issue to think about. :)

As for heel-and-toe in the Camry... Its more of a pain. I don't know about the footbox and pedal arrangement on the Gen4, but in my gen2, its kinda a pain. I have size 12 feet and I have to do the big toe on the brake and heel on the bottom of the gas pedal to get it to work. In my WRX, I just use the left half of my foot on the brake and the right half on the gas... A set of good pedal overlays might help you, but might not.

Just practice, like Yukio said and figure out what works best in your car.

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm tired, but I will take some pics, and give some measurements tomorrow evening.

Seriously, my gas is a good 3" below the brake, and farily close, like trying to heel-toe a staircase!

·
674 Posts
white90dx said:
Watch out with wrestling shoes - they are not flame retardant... That's the reason real racing shoes are more expensive. Just a safety issue to think about. :)
-Charlie
^ you are right about that Charlie, good point i hadn't thought about.

i agree with UFoZ...something has to be wrong with your pedal adjustments b/c a good friend has a gen 4 5spd V6 and though heel/toe is hard for him to do, its not like that far away for him... some pedal covers should help bring the gas closer to the brake for you.

keri

·
674 Posts
^ very true

i have a super nice Bieffe full face helmet (i think its flame retardant i dunno for sure) & i wear some nike's that aren't flame retardant either, and the gloves i wear are actually bicycle gloves that have nice padded gel inserts...i can't drive without my gloves :)

Keri

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,626 Posts
kenratboy said:
:confused:

Oh really?

Remind me not to sponser your race team.
LOL, why would I ask you to sponsor my race team? I don't even have one or in one, because I don't want to.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,626 Posts
UfoZ8myCow said:
i think he meant that heel toeing is something that you have to do if you want to be efficient on a track or auto x...
True. It's good for racing only. But not on streets. That's what I'm trying to point out. :\

·
Pondering the choices
112 Posts
in my gen 3 i have no problem toing the brake and heeling the gas. but i do have to say the gas is a bit deeper than the brake because i realy have to extend the heel to tap it. but i prefer this over any honda ive driven where the pedals are like right next to eachother so you have to use 1/2 of each foot on either. i feel like i have more control over both when i actulay use the toes and heel and have to extend to accomplish my goal. i am best barefoot. i tried today in combat boots but my foot just doesnt move. its stuck to the ground. i recomend trying barefoot even though i believe thats illegal. try and find a very thin sole shoe so you can feel the pedals. maybe a climbing shoe or something. anyways, best of luck solving your dilema

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MORE:

http://www.pbase.com/canonken/image/34134643

That is a picture of my shoe on the brake. My foot is WAY too big to go sideways on the pedels, and the distance between the pedels is too wide for me to straddle with my foot straight (as in, foot on right edge of brake and left edge of gas)

I physically cannot make it work with the exsisting setup. I have seen the wussy little ralley drivers with their size 7's twist their foot sideways, or have the pedels close together, but not me!

·
Man on a mission...
635 Posts
white90dx said:
Or... talk to me when your synchros go out early.
With normal driving (including driving 8/10th's) and modern technology, it is pointless.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UfoZ8myCow said:
i guess you just have freakish feet then. :lol:
:(

Anyway, I wonder if I should do like a racecar and have the pedles 1" (or 2.54cm) apart...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts