Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having the same problem with my camry that I had with my GTS: the main pin (top slider pin) on the rear calipers is seized on. I need to replace the rear calipers, but to remove them from the torque plate I have to get the damned pin out of the sleeve in the caliper.

Aside from using a torch, a vice, and a five-pound sledge--does anyone have any good recommendations? :wtf:

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
monito said:
PB Blaster? o_O
Don't I wish...I've heard good things about it, but it's only available Stateside. The border crossing near me is about a million miles from nowhere, so I'm SOL. :sosad:

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
luvmybeater said:
seafoam deep creep?? I dunno about its availability in canada, but its pretty good
Interesting suggestion...I've never seen their "deep creep", but Seafoam is awesome. I'll see if UAP/NAPA or Patrsource have it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
Wow, i've seen sticky pins but never seized ones - i'm sure you wont fail to lube the new one now!
Soak it in the rust-solvent for as long as possible. Then i'd try to loosen the pin up some by shoving a large screwdriver between the pad and rotor and wobble the caliper back and forth as much as it will go. Also i'd have someone apply the brakes off and on while tapping the pin area with a hammer. Then i'd have a go at beating out the pin. The pin is history so you will need a caliper hardware kit.

I dont know the availability of caliper rebuild kits in Canada- but if you have more time then money, i might try rebuilding it. The caliper rebuild kit is just a few seals and so it is usually cheap. If in doubt about the caliper, just change it.

Usually if they carry seafoam chances are they will have deep creep as well.
If not just put the can kind in a generic spray bottle, it's the exact same stuff. Empty it back in the can after you are done cause i'm sure it will eat the plastic after a little while.

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heh heh, thanks for the ideas guys...I've tried the torch before (on the GTS) and I want to avoid it.

As for the rarity of a seized slider pin, it happened for the same reason both times: car was parked just AFTER first snowfall (and hence salt), and sat for too long...now the caliper is (unsurprisingly) seized. My bad timing...

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, the damned thing (complete with torque plate) is still on the vice. I'm gonna check Canadian Tire again, I never noticed the pb blaster there before but I'll give it another go. Don't worry John, I'd never ask you to send it to me!

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heh heh, I should be able to avoid the drill...just lots of patience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts