Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i'm hoping someone could help me with a problem i'm having with my car. I have 1991 toyota corolla AE92 liftback (coupe). I originally had the 16v carburated engine but changed it to the 4age (20V 4throttle). about 1 month ago the car just cut off about 5 minutes after i started driving. One person had me change the fuel pump )i have an external pump) which was not the problem. The car starts and would rev but is not idling after it starts 3 or 4 times then it would stop starting until you leave it a while again. Another mechanic checked, we ran fuel direct with another pump to be sure the pump was not breaking down, as far as he said (i'm no mechanic) all my electrical fuses seem good current seems to be getting to the injectors
I'm getting good current to the distributor and the distributor is good but a week spark off the wires in the engine. tried changing the wires but same thing changed my air flow about 1 &1/2 years ago. The mechanics seem to thing i have an electrical problem. the car starts but just won't idle.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Not familiar with 4AGE ignition setup but would suggest checking ignition coil/igniter/distributor cap/rotor. In addition look for any loose vac lines.

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
Not familiar with 4AGE ignition setup but would suggest checking ignition coil/igniter/distributor cap/rotor. In addition look for any loose vac lines.
I agree.

Hey john12, welcome.
Post a photo of your car. I've never seen an AE92 liftback coupe.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
check the ignitor... that's probably going

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
Probably the three door fx gt sold in euro markets i believe..
Yeah, but that is a hatchback, not a coupe.
I am imagining of something on the line of the AE86 hatch.

Photo, photo, please!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts