Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 toyota tacoma 4X
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I'm a newcomer here. I have a 99 Tacoma 4X4 Xtracab 5 spd, 4 cylinder. I get about 20 mpg max when cruising on the freeway. Previously I put over 300,000 mi. on an 85 SR5 Xtracab 4X4. I was averaging 23-28 mpg with that truck.
The new one has less than 60K miles and it's bone stock except for a nice bed liner. Any suggestions on how to improve the mileage?
I am interested in getting the best possible mileage. I was extremely disappointed when I drove to Portland and back recently. I used the cruise as much as possible and set it to either 58 mph in the 55 zones, or 68 in the 65 zones. I got less than 21 mpg.
I hope that some of you wizards can help me!
thanks in advance!

·
This Space For Rent
14,153 Posts
Maybe switching over to synth fluids will help you get better mileage. I switched over to Mobil 1 oil recently and gained about 1-2 MPG. Keep your rig properly tuned and have correct air pressure in your tires will help alot too. Staying within the speed limit will help your mileage as well.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
EPA rating for that truck is 19/23, according to Edmunds.
You should be able to do a little better, but probably nowhere near 28.
I wonder what they did to make the gas mileage worse! Bigger engine with more towing capacity?

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
check the usual stuff like air filter, plugs, wires, timing, etc i agree that you oughta do better than 20 mpg. tire pressure can make a huge difference for even 5 psi

·
Speed Junkie
139 Posts
I'm not sure what your final drive ratio is, but I think those 4x4 4bangers came with 4.10:1 gearing which is very short and puts you at a higher RPM during normal driving. Great for offroad but your fuel economy will suffer.

Edit: I found this chart: http://www.off-road.com/toyota/taco/tech/axle/axlecodes.html

You can look for this code on the driver side door jam. Let us know what you find!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts