Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
(1997 toy. Camry 2.2) .Okay so I drove the car to store and drove fine turned car off come back and tried to start it with no luck .it turns over and almost fires but doesn't. Now its month later and still will not start I've replaced the following .plugs , wires , 2 coil packs , cam shaft sensor & fuel pump . I've also suspected a vacuum line so I've gone over the hoses to make sure all is a good fit .At this point I'm completely feeling defeated but I don't have it in me to give up especially because it is my dad's old car and he's past on. I got the hanes book on the car and no help really ... ANY SUGGESTIONS? THANK YOU

·
Super Moderator
13,504 Posts
I'd suspect the timing belt has jumped a tooth or two, maybe more. The 2.2 will run poorly 1 or 2 teeth out, but 3 or more and it won't. Any idea when the timing belt was last replaced? If this is what's happened, no worries. This is a non-interference engine, so no harm done. Just get the timing back where it belongs and it'll be fine. If the belt has shredded, it's time for a belt replacement.

To check it, you can pull the upper cover off, align the crank pulley to the zero mark on the lower cover, and then check the cam pulley. There's a hole in one of the pulley spokes that should line up with a mark on the head. See pic below.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts