Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mommy Mobile
4Runner
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I joined to hopefully talk to people who have knowledge I do not possess at this time to help me with my '90 runner. Mostly what I want is to not to have to downshift when going up a hill and maintain a speed of at least 55mph LOL! I do have the 3.0 motor and I know there isn't much to gain power but having to downshift is just too much to bear. I don't plan to wheel it because we have a Toyota for that, we got the Runner for transporting the kids and dog. I love the look of my Runner and I have dubbed it the "Mommy Mobile". But Mommy needs a little more power to keep up with the pack. Any recommendations will and are welcome. I hope to talk to you all soon! :)
Sincerely,
"Mommy Mobile"

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,130 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Samantha! :hi:

I'll move your thread over to the 4Runner forums so the other members can offer you some suggestions. I'd also recommend using that forum's search feature to see what past threads may already exist that discuss getting more power out of your engine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
What is so hard about down shifting? Be glad that your 3.0 no still runs and can make it up the hill. Complete waste of time and money to try and give it more power. The bet thing to do would be to sell it and buy a later model with a 3.4, which is the best V-6 Toyota has made to date! BTW-What does "wheel it" mean? Not familiar with that lingo.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,604 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :)

@chuckoff, I believe the term "wheel it" is to imply that she would be taking her vehicle off-road to go mudding, rock climbing, or various off-road things fer which you would need the extra power to do those unpaved road stuff. ;)

As far as extra power, there's not a whole lot of things you can do fer the 3.slow without dropping a lot of money into it and then the power vs cost returns wouldn't be that much. Would you spend about $5000 to gain an extra 30hp? Even swapping in the 3.4L engine would cost you just as much. So like chuckoff mentioned, you'd be better off finding a 4Runner with the 3.4L engine and buying that vehicle instead.

There's a few 4Runners listed on CL fer around $5k or so. ;)
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/d/97-toyota-4runner/6746104344.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/d/1997-toyota-4runner/6736153370.html

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,604 Posts
I've been meaning to ask what else are you carrying in the vehicle besides you and yer passengers. The extra added weight will impact yer 4Runner's 3.slow engine's ability to respond to yer power requests going up the hill. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
After I bought my '92 4Runner I was rather shocked at its lack of "get up and go." A bit of research led me to believe that it is just the way these things were made and there's not much you can do about it -- except downshift, downshift every time you go gotta go up a hill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts