Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

New member here and I wanted to introduce myself. I’m looking for a new vehicle for my wife and I think the highlander would be a good choice for her. I’m a long time Volvo owner but the up keep and maintenance is expensive and I’m tired of dumping a lot of money into them all the time. I was wondering how is the maintenance and upkeep on these? Volvo’s have many flaws and parts that always need replacing. Are these more durable? Also does the interior hold up well. Another issue with Volvo. Basically just wondering how great of a vehicle this would be for my wife? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,099 Posts
Welcome. What year(s) were you considering? 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, 3rd Gen? Some are more reliable than other years, and some have lower maintenance costs (1st gens have timing belts to change, other gens have chains so lower maintenance costs).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome. What year(s) were you considering? 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, 3rd Gen? Some are more reliable than other years, and some have lower maintenance costs (1st gens have timing belts to change, other gens have chains so lower maintenance costs).

I was thinking first gen but now after that info I might stick with a gen 2. I’m trying to get away from costly maintenance. All my cars have had timing belts and I’m tired of having to change them every 75-90k miles.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,099 Posts
That’s one reason I favor the 2nd gen. The other is that the seats are more comfortable (longer seat base), it’s larger inside, quieter, and gets better MPGs. Very little maintenance on them. The only year to be cautious about is 2008 due to the number of problems. Here’s a thread listing the technical service bulletins issued for each year. Just remember that it does not mean any or all of them were experienced by owners. For example, on the 2010 we’ve only experienced the intermediate steering shaft issue (which was an easy DIY fix for $225) and the radio issues. Everything else has just been standard maintenance (oil/fluid changes, spark plugs at 120k miles, etc).

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/122-highlander-2nd-generation-2008-2013/491537-2nd-gen-tsb-database-current-through-3-22-13-a.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info. Really helps in narrowing a year I want. Definitely looking at 2nd gen. I like quieter and better MPGs. I also like more room too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s one reason I favor the 2nd gen. The other is that the seats are more comfortable (longer seat base), it’s larger inside, quieter, and gets better MPGs. Very little maintenance on them. The only year to be cautious about is 2008 due to the number of problems. Here’s a thread listing the technical service bulletins issued for each year. Just remember that it does not mean any or all of them were experienced by owners. For example, on the 2010 we’ve only experienced the intermediate steering shaft issue (which was an easy DIY fix for $225) and the radio issues. Everything else has just been standard maintenance (oil/fluid changes, spark plugs at 120k miles, etc).

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/122-highlander-2nd-generation-2008-2013/491537-2nd-gen-tsb-database-current-through-3-22-13-a.html

How long do these vehicles last? I see a lot that are 190,000 mile +. Are they like Volvo’s where they go well over 300,000?

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,099 Posts
How long do these vehicles last? I see a lot that are 190,000 mile +. Are they like Volvo’s where they go well over 300,000?

I think most Toyotas will go 200K before you start dealing with shocks wearing out and other normal things associated with high miles. There are certainly exceptions all the time, but overall Toyotas are very reliable and have less repair costs than others. Mostly just normal maintenance on ours so far (2007 HL with 183k miles, 2010 HL with 153k miles, and 2005 Tacoma with 221k miles). Normal maintenance only on the ‘07 highlander. Steering shaft and radio replaced on 2010 highlander, and just stuff related to lift-caused wear and tear on the Tacoma. Compare that to what you’re used to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think most Toyotas will go 200K before you start dealing with shocks wearing out and other normal things associated with high miles. There are certainly exceptions all the time, but overall Toyotas are very reliable and have less repair costs than others. Mostly just normal maintenance on ours so far (2007 HL with 183k miles, 2010 HL with 153k miles, and 2005 Tacoma with 221k miles). Normal maintenance only on the ‘07 highlander. Steering shaft and radio replaced on 2010 highlander, and just stuff related to lift-caused wear and tear on the Tacoma. Compare that to what you’re used to.

Compared to what I am use too, that doesn’t sound too bad. Volvo’s require so much. The interior falls apart so fast. The plastic is brittle. Their AWD design is so glitchy and requires so much up keep. The engines mounts are all rubber so they require constant replacement after a few years. They are just an expensive car to upkeep and I want something cheaper to upkeep. I also have radio issues in my Volvo.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
New highlander looking for advice on several upgrades aftermarket. A tow hitch, after market Amp for sub woofer. And All terrain tires. Please guide me!!!
Hello, and welcome to the forums! :hi:

Make sure to search the threads because we've had quite a number of upgrade threads in all the Highlander Gen forums. :thumbsup: As for all terrains, I've got them mounted on my 2nd Gen and highly recommend the Yokohama Geolanders. I like them so much, when I'm ready for new tires in another 15K miles or so I'm going to buy them again. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts