Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi newbie here, so far great forum. i just bought a '91 camry 6cyl. automatic. she has 143,000 miles on her. got her for $700.00 i think i got a great deal, the car runs smooth no dents no rust nice interior, everything works fine. my questioin is this: im doing all the general stuff, such as oil changes, filters, flushes, plugs, gen tuneup stuff, gotta get new tires. i'm trying to do a radiator flush and i can seem to fing the petcock valve to drain, can someone post a pic or show me where its at? i cant seem to find it under the rad anywhere. also where the heck are the other 3 plug, and is it difficult to get to them? and lastly, my camry has pwer locks...when i get out of the car and hit the lock button before closing the door, they unlock by themselves. i press down and they pop up again, finally i lock the driver door with key and they all lock. do i have to do this all the time? cant i just press the lock button and have em all lock then close door? hope you can help me out with these minor items, thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A Little Bit Of Help Here

CMON GUYS, i know that there are alot of smart toyota gurus out there, please can someone help me out?:confused:

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
well i'm not sure how the v6 radiator differes from the I4 but here's a picture of the I4 one..
http://tril.pendulus.net/pics/radiator-new.jpg?offset=50 you can see the drain after the lower hose and you can see it between the 2 fans if you look down... as far as the power locks i don't know since i don't have them... you can always just install an alarm or keyless entry system

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay 1 Down 2 To Go!

thanks for your reply "atobe" the pics were great. i founf the drainvalve on your radiator pics, perfect. now i gotta go out and find it on mine. your rad looks just like mine with the 2 little spouts coming out at the bottom. whats weird is that i had to take out both fans to remove the lower aircon hose because the aluminum part got cut with the metal part of the frame of the fan, so i couldnt put in any freon. well let me get back at it and i'll let u know how it went. thanks again.:thumbsup:

·
the gen 2
1989 Camry
496 Posts
just remember, of you cant find it, then just disconnect the lower radiator hose, alittle more messy, but still gets the job done.

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
The V6 drain plug is under the A/C fan (facing the engine, it's the smaller fan on the left). You have to crane your neck over to see it, but it's there...should also have a little section of clear plastic tube hanging down through the plastic splash guard to avoid messes.

As for the locks, the 90 and 91 LE Camrys came with a door-lock system that auto-unlocked the actuators if the key was still in the ignition. Make sure that you're turning the key all the way to "lock" and pressing the little black button to release the key properly. My keys all slide out even with the car running, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a common quirk.

If you are using the black unlock button, the slider inside the ignition may not be returning to tell the car that the key's out of the ignition. You can replace the ignition to fix the problem, or just try spraying some graphite in there to loosen the spring. Again, this is a problem I've had on my V6 LE, so it may be common.

Hope this all helps, sorry to be so long-winded.

--Tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks tbaytoyotaboy, i hadnt even noticed that little black button, just went out and check it, sure enuff its there. just like you said the key seems to slide out on all three positions. i would normally slide it out after turning off engine, then i was beginning to wonder why clock would stay on :headbang: but now that i found that little black button, just like you said, it doesnt seem to spring back so the doors lock...then unlock so i have to lock the doors with key. so you say spray some stuff in there or replace ignition? noticed that after pushing lil blk. button down and turning key to lock, and taking key out, then try putting key back in , i have to jiggle it a little cause it doesnt seem to want to let the key in. thanks again to all you gurus out there. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1990 Camry Deluxe
241 Posts
The V6 drain plug is under the A/C fan (facing the engine, it's the smaller fan on the left). You have to crane your neck over to see it, but it's there...should also have a little section of clear plastic tube hanging down through the plastic splash guard to avoid messes.

As for the locks, the 90 and 91 LE Camrys came with a door-lock system that auto-unlocked the actuators if the key was still in the ignition. Make sure that you're turning the key all the way to "lock" and pressing the little black button to release the key properly. My keys all slide out even with the car running, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a common quirk.

If you are using the black unlock button, the slider inside the ignition may not be returning to tell the car that the key's out of the ignition. You can replace the ignition to fix the problem, or just try spraying some graphite in there to loosen the spring. Again, this is a problem I've had on my V6 LE, so it may be common.

Hope this all helps, sorry to be so long-winded.

--Tim
My DX I4 has this unlock feature too.

·
Registered
592 Posts
so you say spray some stuff in there or replace ignition? noticed that after pushing lil blk. button down and turning key to lock, and taking key out, then try putting key back in , i have to jiggle it a little cause it doesnt seem to want to let the key in.
My ignition does that too, I just deal with it--you'll figure out how to do it after a while. I've had a lot of people asking my help with the key not turning haha.

but now that i found that little black button, just like you said, it doesnt seem to spring back so the doors lock...then unlock so i have to lock the doors with key.
Not understanding this...

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
There's a spring-loaded tumbler in the ignition that senses when the key is in the ignition...if this tumbler is retracted, it thinks the key is in and the doors will unlock again if the dome light is on (the door switch tells it that the driver is exiting the vehicle, and it thinks the key is still in the ignition, so it auto-unlocks to prevent you from locking your keys in the car).

With age, this tumbler starts sticking, thus it won't reflect the fact that the key has been taken out. If the door is open, the locks will auto-unlock.

Clear as mud, I know...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts