Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just installed my hellwig helpers. It was a very easy install but my passenger side is about a half inch higher than the driver's side. I even romped down the drivers side leaving 1/8 (which is the max according to the instructions) in between the helper and the leaf on each one (away from axel side) and the passenger side has almost a full inch between the helper and the leaf.

I know the driver's side is supposed to be a bit beefier suspension-wise to compensate for the driver and fuel tank, so what gives?

Please help, cus this is annoying.

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
:nopics:

:lol: just joking with u, but really, it would help a lot if we had a visual of what u are talking about :thumbup:

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know it may be kinda vague, but if anyone else has installed these helpers, they may know what I'm talking about.

Imagine this is a leaf spring and axel below. The leaf is the dashed line, the 0 is the axel, and the solid line is the helper spring. To the right is the front of the truck. Just pretend they are curved ;)
______ .____
-------0---------

On the hellwig install, the shorter helper goes on top of the leafs on the front side of the axel (right). The longer goes behind the axel (left). The end of each helper nearest to the axel is tightened completley so its in contact with the leaf. The outer ends curve up, and can be tighted within 1/8in of touching the leaf for max lift.

I have these tightened all the way on the driver's side for MAX lift (1/8 in from the leaf). The passengers' side is considerbly less tight, yet the passenger side still sits about 1/2" higher than the drivers' side..

Make sense?

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
if your truck stock?

FYI: The driver side has allot more weight. Gas tank drive and battery.

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, completely stock. I know the driver's side is heavier, and I didn't check to see if the truck was level before the install, which is annoying.

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I fixed it. I moved the driver's side rear helper a half inch further back. Tried to match exactly where I had the passenger side. Also, my driver's side had 2psi lower in the rear... so I think I'm about level now.

I am still tightened quite a bit more on the driver's side than the passenger's side, but as long as its level...whatever
:Bruce:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts