Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in So. Cal. so this is not a cold climate by any stretch of the imagination. This truck was given to me by a friend who drove it for 197000 miles then parked it in his garage foe 4 years. When I got it the first thing I did was run some fuel system cleaner through the tank after starting it. Then, replaced fuel pump, fuel strainer at pump and fuel filter. Then replaced dist. cap and rotor and spark plugs. It ran OK. found some clogged vacuum lines and some broken vac lines and then fixed and checked them all. Still ran kinda rough, but not bad. would not pass smog. New Catalytic converter solved that problem and it was running fairly well. Ran some more fuel system cleaner through a couple tanks of fuel. Then out of the blue it started dying on me when running on the freeway, then after I pulled off and limped around for a little bit it started running great again. Found a problem with the AFM and replaced it with a reman. from Cardone. Ran fine for a few days. Since then, when first started it starts right up, smells really rich and surge idles for a little while then idles normally and the exhaust cleans up and smells fine. When any throttle input is given it loads up and misfires real bad, it is un-driveable, limps along in 1st and 2nd about 20mph. If I let it idle in the sun when it is HOT out after about 30 minutes, then I shut the engine off and let it get hotter, it will usually start up and run excellent for the rest of the day. Go out the next morning, have to do the same routine to make it driveable. Over the course of a few weeks the excellent running time has become shorter and shorter. It has now started switching back and forth between running well and loading up while I'm driving it. I have replaced cap, rotor, fuel pump, fuel filter and strainer, new vacuum modulator, new AFM, new air intake hoses, spark plugs, new throttle pos. sensor, new O2 sensor, 2 new coolant temp sensors, removed and cleaned plenum and throttle body, replaced cold start injector, replaced thermostat. I have checked the resistance values of all the new and old sensors and all are within specs. I have tested EGR system and if functions as it should when vacuum applied or removed. All VSVs, when tested, appear to be functioning normally.
Does anybody have any clue what this is?? I am really frustrated and have exhausted my ideas. prior to replacing the 180 t-stat with 195 degree one, the coolant temp never got over 180 degrees. Now coolant gets to 195. When it runs, it runs beautifully, so I am thinking it is sensor and ECU related to heat somehow. HELP!!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts