Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all this is my first post i have a Toyota 1993 V6 3.0L 2wd only got 84000 miles on it ill upload some pics looks brand new not a scratch and the interior looks new better then my 2005 truck lol anyway ... As of right now i am trying to figure out air intake system for it i have added high flow cat and dual pipes all flowmaster. the stock air intake is very very restricting i am not going to be drag racing but will be adding a lot of aftermarket parts for preformace what i can find also i had to drop the fuel line weird i was trying to change the fuel filter and was not working threads was crossed or something is this odd maybe age ? well alot of differnt subjects sorry
thanks for any help :)

·
Registered
2000 Tacoma TRD
239 Posts
hello all this is my first post i have a Toyota 1993 V6 3.0L 2wd only got 84000 miles on it ill upload some pics looks brand new not a scratch and the interior looks new better then my 2005 truck lol anyway ... As of right now i am trying to figure out air intake system for it i have added high flow cat and dual pipes all flowmaster. the stock air intake is very very restricting i am not going to be drag racing but will be adding a lot of aftermarket parts for preformace what i can find also i had to drop the fuel line weird i was trying to change the fuel filter and was not working threads was crossed or something is this odd maybe age ? well alot of differnt subjects sorry
So are you asking how to change the fuel filter? That's a pretty simple process, unbolt, drain the fuel, replace filter, and bolt it back.

As for the air intake, I suggest the TRD CAI (Cold Air Intake).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Stock air intake very restricting?? Hahahahah Not really.

The part of the 3.0 engine that is restrictive is the top end of the engine itself. The stock air will flow all the engine can handle. All an AM set up will do is make it noisy.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
It's true that there is essentially no power to be gained by modding the intake. I replaced mine in 1996 with a K&N Filtercharger intake - perfectly smooth air hose and a very high flow filter - and saw zero noticeable power gains. Nothing. I did see a big gain by replacing my exhaust with a Borla cat-back, but from the intake, nada.

If you want, you might check out the "ISR" mod (intake silencer removal). Search on isr over on yotatech. That's the only intake mod I would consider, if I had it to do over again.

Did you have headers? That's one of the best mods for the 3.0 - not only gives you more power, but more important, eliminates the dumb crossover pipe that creates backpressure and causes the #6 cylinder to overheat. That's the most common place where the head gaskets fail on this motor.

LC Engineering makes the best headers for the 3.0, Doug Thorley ceramics are next best (and a bit cheaper) Summit Racing sells the Thorleys at a good discount.

Many of us set the base ignition timing at 12 BTDC, instead of the 10 degrees specified in the manual. It gives a bit more throttle response and low end torque, but increases the emissions some, so if your state has a smog test, set the timing back to 10 before the test. A few even run 14 degrees advance, and some of them say even that will still run okay on 87 octane, but I think it's possible the computer may detect knocking and pull the advance back down, but IDK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
t100

yea well i added an high flow cat and dual pipes out the back i have been looking for headers and i do see the point there were the crossover pipe is from left to right but on air intake with my exhaust all ready done i thought i could just add cold air intake but this is a problem with this year i can see why with they way all stock is set up this truck is like new i am just trying to add some performance suspension as well but yea like i said no one sells air kit for this year ? i am changing the transmission fluid next week and flushing radiator ,brakes and i am done it does not need these except brakes just trying to keep maintenance up anything i missed i done fuel filter, oil full synthetic off course mobil1 spark plugs ngk. i am going to upload pix this is one nice looking truck for a 1993 84000 or well 88000 miles 5 speed V 6 3.0 T100 my first toyota my other truck is F-150 V8 5.4L XLT shortbed well i put alot of stuff on this post thanks for any and all input :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Headers

It's true that there is essentially no power to be gained by modding the intake. I replaced mine in 1996 with a K&N Filtercharger intake - perfectly smooth air hose and a very high flow filter - and saw zero noticeable power gains. Nothing. I did see a big gain by replacing my exhaust with a Borla cat-back, but from the intake, nada.

If you want, you might check out the "ISR" mod (intake silencer removal). Search on isr over on yotatech. That's the only intake mod I would consider, if I had it to do over again.

Did you have headers? That's one of the best mods for the 3.0 - not only gives you more power, but more important, eliminates the dumb crossover pipe that creates backpressure and causes the #6 cylinder to overheat. That's the most common place where the head gaskets fail on this motor.

LC Engineering makes the best headers for the 3.0, Doug Thorley ceramics are next best (and a bit cheaper) Summit Racing sells the Thorleys at a good discount.

Many of us set the base ignition timing at 12 BTDC, instead of the 10 degrees specified in the manual. It gives a bit more throttle response and low end torque, but increases the emissions some, so if your state has a smog test, set the timing back to 10 before the test. A few even run 14 degrees advance, and some of them say even that will still run okay on 87 octane, but I think it's possible the computer may detect knocking and pull the advance back down, but IDK.
< do you know were i can find headers for this truck i live in Nashville TN i have had a few people say they could get rid of the crossover pipe but i would rather just do it right if i am going to do it thanks again oh and again i am not wanting to make my truck sound like something its not like a damn saturn i saw dual out with glass pack sounds like well just shit lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts