Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - a newbie here, looking for some advice.

My girlfriend has a 2002 RAV4 4dr (the 1AZFE engine). She bought the car used about a year ago with around 45K miles. Right before xmas we were driving and the check engine light came on and then all of a sudden the oil light came on and the engine locked up while on the highway (everything happenned within a matter of 2 minutes). The dealer now tells us that there is oil sludge or oil gel in the engine and an extra 6 quarts of oil in the engine as well (no idea how that is possible). He says the extra oil in the engine as well as the sludge is what caused the engine failure. The car now has about 57K miles, the warranty expired on August 5 and the dealer is telling us it is a maintenance problem. We have had the oil changed about every 3,000 miles since owning the car (maybe at 4K miles on one occassion), but the service manager tells us that we cannot prove what happenned for the first 45K miles, so he doubts there will be a warranty extension.

I have not followed up with Toyota customer service yet, but from everything I've read online it appears that they are going to tell me they will not do anything about it. Also the dealer is saying that it will cost $8500 to fix the engine (we're in Northern NJ)....

Has anyone had this problem? Have any suggestions on how to approach Toyota customer service to get them to cover the engine or at least part of the cost? Do you think we should get it fixed, junk the car or get a used engine? Thanks for your help....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you made any progress with Toyota?
I am currently going through a bad ordeal with a 2004 Rav, it took over six weeks to resolve the first issue.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Did you buy the car from a Toyota dealer? How many miles did your girl friend put on the car. If the engine is apart, have someone who knows about engines look at it to confirm sludge and how extensive it is. Sludge takes some time to build up, does not happen over night.

Do a Google search, sludge has been an issue with Toyota engines. Toyota has offered to fix certain models but the RAV4 is not listed among them.

As to cost, do nothing until you go as far as possible with Toyota helping to fix the problem. If no help from Toyota, start calling independent shops and asking about a used replacement engine being installed. This route will save you a lot of money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
toyomoho
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing