Toyota Nation Forum banner

HELP! 89 4AF Running Poorly

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Flashmn 
#1 ·
Okay, So I own a Corolla, bought it for $400 bucks while my lowrider is getting done, without realizing it has the least reliable import motor produced. Heres my problem.

My Corolla runs great until it reaches idling temp, then it backfires and sputters. It backfires so bad out of the carb that it burned a hole in the air filter. My valve timing is fine. I have a nearly brand new denso cap and wires. I noticed when i took my cap off I had reminates of oil in the bottom of the cap( laying on the side thats lowest). Needless to say I cleaned that. The timing is on, The plugs are burning fine so my guess it has something to do with the carb itself.

The sputtering happens when I accelerate. Theres a sweet spot in the petal in which it runs okay but takes very long to accelerate. If I mash the petal it trys its best to stall on me. keep in mind THIS ONLY HAPPENS AFTER 5 MINS OF RUNNING. If its the carb im sending it to a junkyard because im not spending 300 bucks for a rebuild plus having to put it on, with all those vaccum lines,which by the way all vaccum lines are fine.

IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! Thanks

#3 ·
This is like the 10th post I've seen about the crab carb doing something werid :mad: :headbang:

Let me say this to who-ever decided to the put the AISIAN on the 4-AF WHY??? The aisian carb is shit :bash:

My Carb. used to do all of that and more. It turns out that it was a timing problem. Forget the timing light, just unbolt the dis. and retard it a tad fast. It solved my problem.

The 4-AF is great ! except for the "F" part F=Federal Carborator
and that = :barf: and the Cali model is worse.

The Timing should be 5 degrees BTDC

(OH. it's the carb. It's always the Carb.) :) good luck and let us know if it fixes anything

#6 ·
haha...ill check out the egr, if thats okay ill mess with the distributor. thanks guys, my opnion is 4afs suck no other way around it, and the only way to understand how they even function is if u happened to be a ww1 japanese fighter pilot. Ill keep u guys posted.

#8 ·
"it has the least reliable import motor produced"

How do you figure that????

#10 ·
Flashmn said:
It isnt even the most unreliable. Its only unreliable if its mistreated/mismaintained. :rolleyes:
Well I wonder how many miles is has on it.

Good luck to the thread starter but it's funny that you're all: "I bought a $400 car and it's not reliable" Um yeah, it probably was very reliable when new but 15+ years later and many miles, it needs lots of TLC before it will be very reliable again.:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.