Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a '93 Tercel. I chose this year largely because it had better safety ratings than other years and it's the first year they had a driver airbag. Unfortunately, when I bought the car there was a stick-on clock blocking my view of the airbag service light so it was not until I'd already bought it I realized the airbag was not working. My mechanic said I need a wiring harness for $150 or so, but he could not locate the part anywhere. Lee's Toyota in Jamaica, NY says I need to replace the entire dashboard harness for $700 which I cannot afford. Does anyone know which quote is more accurate, and how I might possibly get a wiring harness for a '93-94 Tercel airbag system?

Also any diagrams showing the airbag's wiring harness would help.

Thanks,
Dan

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
I have a 93 Tercel parts car I could salvage the system from for considerably less. Once installed you will have to get it armed. This can be done with a paperclip or a scanner.
Let me know if interested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My son's got a 95 Tercel with the airbag light on. Is it a common Tercel problem? Is a wiring harness really the fix? Is there a way to reset the airbag light? I can understand the system being deactivated due to a faulty sensor or control but a wiring harness seems odd.

Thanks.

Tom, upstate NY.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tercel Aibag Light

Thanks for the reply. As for upstate, I'm talking near Rochester, NY. I appreciate your offer but the drive would kill me :).

Can it be reset using a OBDII reader? Or is there a special reader for the airbags? Can it be reset by disconnecting the battery for a period of time?

Thanks,

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts