Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I don't know much about cars but I've been learning only due to my corolla starting to fall apart on me. One thing I haven't figured out is something that's keeping my car from starting. I do not believe it's the starter and I do not believe it's the battery. Brand new bat and has been tested several times.

Picture yourself standing in front of the vehicle looking at the car under the hood. The right side near the battery. There's a wire that comes from north of the battery that goes to the battery positive terminal. If that wire isn't connected to the positive terminal the car dies completely. No lights no click,nothing. It isn't the positive cable I know that much. I need to know what this cable is so I can figure out why it keeps my car from turning on bc the connection is not so great. ie when I wiggle the wire you can hear clicking and by doing so I can eventually get my car to start when turning the key.

I appreciate all and any help thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cable/wire I'm referring to appears to be going in the opposite direction of the starter. I lose track of where it goes but I can definitely tell it's going to the right and not the left(starter location)

·
Beware of pigs
Little Pig
2,433 Posts
Wire off the main battery terminal goes to starter. One that bolts to the stud on the terminal goes to everything else. Are you talking about the latter?
The cable/wire I'm referring to appears to be going in the opposite direction of the starter. I lose track of where it goes but I can definitely tell it's going to the right and not the left(starter location)
That would be wire I mentioned, turned red above. Remove the nut on the stud on the + battery terminal. Clean that area well, baking soda, wire brush, give it everything you have. Put it back together nice and tight.

If you are still having loose wires after you really clean and crank it down, the terminal has deformed and should be replaced. Get a audio-grade battery terminal, cut off the old heads and wire into your replacement. (This happened to my negative terminal and I replaced the entire ground wire with a newly built one headed by a $25 Stinger terminal. :eek: )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will take a photo when I get home shortly. I don't think it has anything to do with how clean the terminal is. In fact before I started this thread I got two terminal cleaners and went to town on it and sprayed it with de-corrosion/corrossion resistant spray.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry, that took a lot longer than I thought it would.

^ I circled the wire im talking about in blue

^ This is where it goes

^ This is where it seems to end

So you would think its just the horn, lights, etc. But why would it kill my car if I don't have it connected.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
If this wire was faulty would thus be causing my car to not start?
His point is what your asking here is a complete guess. You started the thread asking about wiring. He went that way. But honestly thats the last option of "won't start". How often is it bad wiring? Basically never. But because you started off that way he and we made assumptions. Have you ruled out all other starting options up to the wiring harness?

·
Registered
'00 Corolla
516 Posts
Seeing how this thread is going, I have to ask, did you reconnect the negative terminal (disconnected in the photo) after you cleaned everything up?

·
Registered
'00 Corolla
516 Posts
Sorry, I had to ask. I've seen some pretty brilliant people spend way too long trying to troubleshoot issues that ended up being something as simple as "oh hey, I forgot to put the batteries in". :headbang:

Can we get a closer, more detailed view of your positive terminal? From a few angles, if possible. It looks after-market and I'm curious to see how it's all hooked up; the connection of the wire circled in blue looks questionable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
True. Well as it turns out, that wire Ive been talking about had nothing to do with it. It was indeed the starter the whole time. fun times. Thanks all for your help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, I had to ask. I've seen some pretty brilliant people spend way too long trying to troubleshoot issues that ended up being something as simple as "oh hey, I forgot to put the batteries in". :headbang:

Can we get a closer, more detailed view of your positive terminal? From a few angles, if possible. It looks after-market and I'm curious to see how it's all hooked up; the connection of the wire circled in blue looks questionable.
The clamps to the terminals are aftermarket. The positive one just clamps Down on the positive cable with nuts that you tighten down. It's not the OEM because the cable was cut short when trying to put on new, non corroded clamps. I had to buy an extension for the positive cable so it would reach the battery terminal. It came with accessory extensions as well. That's what the "blue circled wire" goes to and my subwoofer/amp.

But like I said, it turned out to be the starter afterall. The only thing that led me to believe otherwise was this blue circled wire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts