Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and keep in mind I don't know jack chit about cars...

I'm likely going to buy a 2005 Toyota Corolla LE next month. It's the only one in my price range were I can get nice options (ie. Leather interior, sunroof) and not pay an arm and a leg.

My question is, what mods should I put on my new Corolla to maybe give it a little extra power, and/or to spruce up an otherwise kinda bland exterior. I'm used to driving a V6 and my mom's 2.5 Acura TL. A 4-banger is going to seem lacking so I just want a little extra power and flare until I can pay this one off and score me a Lexus, Nissan 350Z, or Audi TT Roadster. :cool:

Here are your main guidelines: I'M NOT LOOKING TO RACE Money is not so much of an issue (but lets not go nuts). And

this is going to be a transportation car, therefore...
1.) Mods at the expense of ride comfort are a deal breaker.
2.) I need this car for a long time. Mods at the expense of vehichle wear and longevity, are a deal breaker.
3.) Illegal mods are a deal breaker.
4.) Want to stay away from things like neon, undercarriage lights, excessive trim kits, wings bigger than my house, etc.

Specifically my questions...

1.) Would the TRD Supercharger cause longevity problems with the stock engine? Could other mods prevent that? (Someone
posted a S/C Corolla vid in the Corolla Forum...gave me a bulge).
2.) What other mods could I do that would improve power/handling without sacrificing ride comfort or wear?
3.) Does the above automatically rule out lowering springs? (Would lowering springs cause a rougher ride?)

Any other information, tips, or suggestions would be great. I also think the stock rims are ugly as sin, and maybe if I could get some chrome accents around the car that would look good too.

Thanks for your responses. :)

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
you've already answered your own question there.....

just get the trd supercharger....get it installed at the dealership, get a cold air intake, and a free flow exhaust system...and also an safc to keep an eye on your air/fuel.....

keep it at the stock boost of 4psi and it should see not much more wear and tear than a stock engine....

for lowering springs...its not really teh spring that give you the still ride as much as the struts that you pick to go with them...since I don't have a corolla, I'm not sure what's available for it, but look around and you'll probably find a combo that won't be too harsh...

good luck, and welcome to the toyota community :thumbup:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with 'power' mods if you're only planning on making it a bit nicer to drive. Rims and suspension can make a world of difference in looks and make the car more fun without doing any harm to the drivetrain. Even simple bolt-ons are gonna make an impact on reliability. Aside from that, dash trim kit, new gauges, subtle exterior mods like eyelids and tint, you've already got leather and a sunroof so those are out.

And I hope you got the 5spd.

·
Registered
678 Posts
just spend those money on the xrs corolla, corolla le+s/c =xrs why don't spend one time on the xrs????

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
itzsteven said:
just spend those money on the xrs corolla, corolla le+s/c =xrs why don't spend one time on the xrs????
I don't spend a little more on the XRS because the leather interior isn't an option. Plus, unfortunately for toylovers, since it's a car for getting to and from work, not having an automatic is kind of a problem.

I've never understood how, since they were to custom build them and most of the CE, LE, S, and XRS are identitcal, why they can't just custom make options and have them availible on all three of them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MRQturbo said:
save a little more...get a faster car.....what is ur price range/budget??.....
I have considered that.

I just got a new job, started yesterday, but I'm not really sure how much I'll be making. Anything under $20K should be fine. Anything over that I might have to save up more for a down payment.

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Get springs and struts. Suspension is good. Your handling will be nice, stiff and tight. It also looks very good. Suspension mods should give you better ride.

Maybe get....Do i dare say it? Coilovers. They are kind of like those lowrider hydraulics being you can adjust your ride height. They are also basically the best you can get in terms of handling. But they cost about 1500+USD. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts