Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just purchased a 1987 Corolla, it's a five door hatch. I think it's pretty rad.

Anyways, I'm looking to begin research on what it is. I know it has the 4a motor...any more info on this? tranny ? gears ?

It had a whole load of work done to it in the last two years (+ 1700 bucks) I paid 1750 for it....

What strong points, competively does this car have, I saw someone earlier talking about drifting. Are these tight little cars?

·
Registered
861 Posts
if it's a five door, it's the ae82, which is a fwd car.. so not so good for drifting.

my dad had one of those, it was the car he taught me to drive manual on :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I paid 1750 CDN for it

had :
new struts
new clutch
new tires
new cv axles
new tie rod ends
new exhaust
new brakes
and a maintenance record from the last two years.

Original owner sold it to some parents who gave it to there son, he drove it to Alberta and tried to insure it but couldn't afford it...Moved to Whistler, bought a new car, Corolla went back to parents and sold to me

The one thing I want asap is a Tach going to add one right away.

What does the ae82 represent? platform of build?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I've been driving the car for a couple weeks now...it's been great fun...

kinda sleeperish since the performance it does have is totally underrated by friends...like tonight driving home from the park, we hit the highway and half-hearted raced a 90 civic dx hatch....one occupant - the driver-

meanwhile in my rolla we had me (140 lbs) buddy1 (240 lbs) Buddy2 (240 lbs) and buddy3 (190 lbs)

so a combined weight of 810 lbs. The dx was a auto so the kid was dropping to second and stuff to really wokr his engine...it made noises it shouldn't have when he passed us:D anyways we hit a bit of a hill, and I kept at my pace, he dropped a gear and then tried to catch up...it took him forever to move a car length but finally did, we were rolling in laughter to see his car struggle.

So it made me ask the question what makes a rolla "status" car (such as the AE 86) I always expected rolla's to be econo box sedans...not these underated zippy cars...

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,675 Posts
The econo box status began back in 1992 when Toyota dropped the 2-door coupes from the Corolla line-up in north america, even though they kept it for the rest of the world. :disappoin

Post some pics of your car.. that way we can help you know more about it. :thumbup: :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.