Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was out shopping today. pulled into a store got out went inside when I came back out the car wouldn't start. It has plenty of charge but the starter wont turn the car over. I was able to pop start it with the clutch pedal and drove it for awhile. Came home turned it off and the starter wont turn. I just want to make sure it cant be anything else before I go and buy one

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Did you check to make sure batt terminls/connectors are tight and totally free of corrosion. Toys seem touchy if they areen't clean. Next did you check the main ground from battery negative to tranny housing? Will it start if jumped ? If all the bases have been covered a very likely trouble spot if starter is original is worn out solenoid contacts. They aren't expensive , are available at dealer in most cases. Try that route before springing for a rebuild that isn't anywhere as reliable as the original Nippondenso. Here is link on the repair:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml#EasyTest

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
Have you done a search at all? you have a lot of threads for a lot of questions that have been answered in this forum by a lot of people.

Change your starter or rebuild it, it's getting ready to go... specially if it works fine, then you drive for a bit and it won't work. A common problem is heat soak, it works when the engine is cold, then you drive your car and turn it off, when you return later it doesn't work anymore.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you check to make sure batt terminls/connectors are tight and totally free of corrosion. Toys seem touchy if they areen't clean. Next did you check the main ground from battery negative to tranny housing? Will it start if jumped ? If all the bases have been covered a very likely trouble spot if starter is original is worn out solenoid contacts. They aren't expensive , are available at dealer in most cases. Try that route before springing for a rebuild that isn't anywhere as reliable as the original Nippondenso. Here is link on the repair:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml#EasyTest
thanks I got the exhast manifold off and the bolts out before it got to dark but I am having trouble seperating it from the trans housing. Going to mess with it again on sunday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts