Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Guys,
I'm a new member and have been driving a 2001 V6 Camry LE. Just recently did my 90k major tuneup and timing belt change, then boom! Rear-ended a car in an emergency-stopping traffic on my way to work. Anyways, the damage isn't too bad up front, but the front and side airbags have deployed. I'm planning to just replace the two front airbags to reduce the costs, but even that is expensive. Luckily, I've seen sets of front airbags with computer from '98/99 Camrys for less than $200 on reputable auto parts sellers on Ebay. Here's my problem, I've been told the '98/99 airbags are different from the '00/01 airbags, so these parts aren't compatible. Can any knowledgeable member let me know what the difference are and what my options are to make things work? I was thinking, maybe I could use the '98 airbags and then have my '01 computer/module reset?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Toyomoho,
The sensor switch I definitely have to replace because it is smashed up in the accident. Unfortunately, the bigger problem (as stated in my OP) is that I don't know enough about the Gen 4 and Gen 4.5's differences in airbag parts. What I'm planning to do is to buy a set of '98 (gen 4) front airbags for my '01 (gen 4.5), but what I've been told was the wiring is different. A set of '98 airbags can be as low as $200 shipped while the '01 can run up to 4-5x the price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts