Toyota Nation Forum banner

Help: Apple CarPlay GPS Volume Adjust

23K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  steveghar 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to adjust the volume when using Google Maps and the voice is talking; telling you turn by turn instructions? When you go to volume control in the Google Maps CarPlay settings it says adjust volume by using the volume + and - buttons for your vehicle’s volume controls while the GPS is speaking, I have tried that MANY times and it never changes the volume! This is driving me mental, I can’t figure it out. I turn music off so there’s no music playing at all, and the only thing on is the GPS voice, but still no matter what can’t seem to be able to adjust the volume. If anyone knows how to do it, can you please share your wisdom? Thanks

Reactions: Shlagbert
#2 ·
Try turning up the volume on your device. On my Bluetooth in my other car, at level 36, that is Max volume for my device.

Try it and report back.

#3 ·
I have tried that, it doesn’t make any difference. Can’t understand how they could have possibly made such a simple thing so complicated?!

#6 ·
My settings are identical. I still can’t adjust the volume level, no matter what. Selecting “Softer”, "Normal”, or “Louder” does change it, however ‘normal’ is too low, and ‘louder’ far too loud. I want to be able to set it the same way I can adjust music levels using the volume knob, not just the preset/predetermined level. What’s odd is that sometimes it’s too loud all on its own and other times too low; I have no clue why or how it does this but it is extremely irritating/glitchy. They need to release a fix for this ASAP!

Thank-you for trying, appreciate it.

#7 ·
What model/make phone do you use in the Corolla?

I looked into the main settings of my phone and didn't find anything. The only thing I can tell you is that when I use my bt, the volume is decreased automatically. Pretty sure it's by design.

I am curious to know if this is a head unit issue or not.

Edit : have you tried unpairing the device from the Corolla? Tried doing a software update on your device? Is the device older than IP7?

#8 ·
I used the iPhone XS Max before and am now using the iPhone 11 Pro Max. iOS software is always up to date, I never run Beta anything on my devices. I also hardly ever use Bluetooth on my iPhone it’s always plugged in using the Apple CarPlay cable, and that’s when I experience all the issues. I have also noticed since this new iOS 13 CarPlay that satellite view google maps is glitching despite having very fast internet connection the satellite image isn’t always as perfectly clear as it was before iOS 13. Noticed this on both my XS Max and 11 Pro Max. Head unit is fully up to date no new updates available. 2019 Corolla Hatchback XSE.

The only thing I ever used Bluetooth for was my Note 9, and now my Note 10+, don’t have any issues with them as I only use them for calls and to watch movies, I can always adjust the volume for those things with ease never an issue. It’s just the iPhone when connected via the cable to utilize CarPlay that’s wonky with the sound issues on google maps.I drive for UBER part time so this drives me nuts. I really hope they release a MUCH NEEDED update for the head unit to fix this! The guys in the dealership are useless/clueless smh.

#9 ·
What cable are you using? Is it from apple or another manufacturer?

You've already determined it's not the phone or the head unit. Try another cable.

#10 ·
What cable are you using? Is it from apple or another manufacturer?

You've already determined it's not the phone or the head unit. Try another cable.
I used Insignia branded cable purchased from Best-Buy, they told me that’s the best quality they carry. It works perfectly with volume controls when playing music stored on the iPhone, no reason it shouldn’t work with google maps. Just tried the original Apple Cable that came with the 11 Pro Max; no difference. Evidently there is no way to adjust the volume control on google maps other than the pre-set ‘softer’, ‘normal’ or ‘louder’ settings. I don’t understand this... What kind of dummies are responsible for this sorcery?!

#12 ·
XSE, and the ironic part is I got the XSE specifically for the ability to use google maps satellite view on the screen lol, but these sound issues are just pathetic. My moms 2018 Civic doesn’t share these sound adjustment problems when she uses Apple CarPlay, she can adjust it with the volume controls on the head unit or steering wheel, just as we should be able to as per the instructions given in the head unit’s CarPlay google maps settings menu for volume control. This is just unacceptable.

#14 ·
Yes, I have and all the updates are up to date. Maybe it's a bug of some kind since this new iOS 13 and new Apple CarPlay have been introduced.?. Not sure, but hope they fix it. I've literally done everything I can think of to try to troubleshoot it and nothing works. It is up to them to try and fix this now. Fingers Crossed

P.S. Thank-you for trying to help out.

#15 ·
No problem. I am sure you won't have this issue in other cars. It's funny how our devices won't talk to other things.

Maybe it's an apple thing so that users will use apple maps.

#16 ·
No problem. I am sure you won't have this issue in other cars. It's funny how our devices won't talk to other things.

Maybe it's an apple thing so that users will use apple maps.
Indeed, that thought crossed my mind more than once. Maybe when Android Auto is released it'll be more pleasant to use. I'd still prefer to use the 11 Pro Max for CarPlay, only because I watch a lot of content on the Note 10 Plus, enjoy it for surfing and media consumption much more and love how much lighter it is compared to the 11 Pro Max. The 4K screen is sharper and larger, being significantly lighter makes it much more enjoyable to use. 11 Pro Max for photo and video all day. Everything else Note 10 Plus. :)

#18 · (Edited)
Since the latest iOS 13.x update, when using Google maps I no longer get any sound. I believe it is something to do with the update :mad:

Found this help page, some items have been suggested above:

#20 ·
I know this thread is old, but I just wanna help. The Apple CarPlay/Android Auto navigation volume can be adjust at your head unit instead of on your phone.

Surprise :)?

Menu-Setup-Voice-Voice Volume

You have 7 levels to adjust. I have tested on my vehicle and it did affect the apple CarPlay navigation volume.

One thing I do want to ask everyone is that how do we turn on the feature of ‘when navigation speaks, music volume fades/lowers’?

#21 ·
One thing I do want to ask everyone is that how do we turn on the feature of ‘when navigation speaks, music volume fades/lowers’?
Mine does that automatically on AA ... I wish I could turn it off lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.