Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Can someone please HELP!? We currently have a 2001 Toyota Sienna and a Toyota Camry. BOTH cars suddenly cannot be filled up with fuel. It started several months ago and getting worse. The Sienna is the worse. You go in with a tank that is empty or near empty. When you start to fill it up, the pump clicks off right away. You try again and the same thing!!! You literally cannot put more than 50 cents a pop into the tank without the nozzle clicking off. It takes over 15 minutes or more to fill up our tank. I have tried holding the nozzles at all different angles and there is no difference. It does the same thing on our Camry, but not as bad. It clicks off about every dollar or so and sometimes if you put gas in VERY slowly. It will take it without clicking off. We recently sold a 1998 Corolla LE that started doing to same thing. We sold the car as it was so frustrating! We normally use HESS gas, but have tried other stations and the same thing. We have called Toyota of Riverhead, NY and they say they have no idea. They want to charge us a fee just to look at it. I have taken a 3 foot plastic tube and inserted it into the gas intake of the Sienna and there are no blocks at all. It goes in cleanly. It makes no sense at all.

There is clearly something going on when 3 Toyotas all do this. We also have a Chevy Pickup which we have no problems with. Our Sienna and Camry continue to have this problem and it makes no sense. It seems something is not compatible with Toyota tanks and the current nozzles used to fill up gas tanks.

We are at a loss and please ask for help.

Sincerely,
Brad

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
The gas tank has a separate vent system to allow the air in the tank to escape as it is being filled. Most of the air goes through this vent system and not the plastic tube intake you checked.

If you look at the tank filler port were the fueling nozzle goes you may see a hole on the side, this is the exist hole for the air. If this vent or hose leading to the tank becomes plugged the air cannot escape and the fueling nozzle will shut off prematurely.

In a pinch if the fuel nozzle system uses a plastic sleeve around the nozzle to draw out the gas fumes, you can pull back the sleeve during fueling. This will allow the tank air to escape and prevent the nozzle from turning off. And if you have not already done so, attempt to fuel the cars at the lowest nozzle fuel setting. The fueling nozzles at the stations may also be too sensitive and kick off prematurely, also don’t top off the tank when fueling.

If you want to see the Camry system download the service info from the link below:

www.camrymanuals.com

·
Former Toyota/ASE Master
325i
1,078 Posts
There's a piece on the charcoal canister they call the "on-board recover ORVR valve", or a fill check valve. This is a one-way check valve that will direct displaced vapors to the canister as you fill the tank. When this thing gets stuck, the vapors in the tank won't displace, and the nozzle shuts off because of the pressure increase. The part isn't too expensive and it's fairly easy to replace and not an uncommon occurence.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question about Valve

Where is the "on-board recover ORVR valve", or a fill check valve located? Is it in or near the gas tank? Can an owner replace it or does it have to be done by a Toyota dealer. I am somewhat mechanical....

Thanks for the response...

My local dealer has been NO help at all....

·
Former Toyota/ASE Master
325i
1,078 Posts
It's on the charcoal canister connected to the gas tank with a vacuum hose. If I remember right it just clips in and it's not terribly difficult to replace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out it was spider webs in the charcoal cannister!!!! $128 fix. Oh my! Why would spiders want to live it there? Toyota mechanic said it was full of webs and clogged with them. They has happened to 2 other of our cars. What are the chances and what is the attraction? After the webs were removed, it takes gas like new.....UGH! Thanks for all the replies.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just this afternoon I fixed my granddaughter's Camry that had the same problem. 5 minute fix! On another site I learned how to do it.

Behind the gas tank there is a box with several hoses coming out. One short hose (about 6 inches long and 3/8 inch diameter) goes into the frame where the axle would be. Take this hose off with a flat-headed screwdriver. It will be filled with spider nests. Clean them out, put the hose back on, and presto!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Now the hose described in this post is the one with the green cap .. My canister is located inside the engine bay and I just disconnected the connection to the engine and used an aerobics ball inflator to pump the stuff back towards the canister. Did I do more harm than good in the long run? Because I have no problems whatsoever now..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had a mysterious CEL that always seemed fuel-related but always went off, and was so intermittent, that I just treated it as a ghost in the machine. Just had the same fuel problem you had: 20 cents in, click! 30 cents in, real slow, click! Jersey has vapor recovery boots on the fuel nozzles, but even pulling back on that didnt help.

Jacked up the rear, lubed up the 6 bolts that hold a plastic cover over the charcoal canister area (2001 + have the canister aft of the fuel tank), and torqued away. Snapped one, didnt feel like cutting it, so I kinda pried off the cover best I could, enough to look. Webs aplenty but no sign of loose hoses. Just fueled up, no problem. Wierd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now, that is a good video! My CEL is on all the time now, even as the gas tank takes fuel freely 9 times out of 10. Coming up on 100K miles, so the plugs and timing belt are due for a change; gonna get that last canister-cover bolt free and have it all looked at while in the shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the second time the wife's corolla had this same issue where it was near impossible to pump fuel into the tank , both times i found some kind of bug nest and today i found some kind of wasp larva in the same section of the fuel tank vent valve , the valve attaches to the charcoal canister via a phillips screw . remove the 8 inch vent hose that slides into a hole in the chassis and you should see debris blocking the vent , clean it and re-assemble , should take about 10 to 15 minutes..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gas Filling Problem Easy Fix

My 2004 Acura MDX isn’t taking gas. I must have typed that in google search 100 times. I had the same issue as many others who would try to fill up the car, but the pump would click off right away. You try again and the same thing!!! You literally cannot put more than 50 cents a pop into the tank without the nozzle clicking off. It would usually take 15 minutes or more to fill up the tank. I tried holding the nozzles at all different angles and there was no difference. All the local Acura and Honda service centers hadn’t heard of an issue like this before and there were a lot of dead end ideas online. Then after dozens of hours online trying to find a solution that didn’t require any sort of major overhaul, (dropping the gas tank, replacing the charcoal canister etc) I found a ‘one liner’ post somewhere about a small amount of gas mysteriously ending up in the vent line upon filling the tank. On the Acura MDX (& Honda Pilots), there are two vent lines that follow the fuel filler neck down the back driver side of the vehicle behind the tire that take a 90 degree turn at some sort of elbow coupling. Just like the other guy recommended, I removed the larger of the two vent tubes from the 90 degree elbow, and sure enough, about a ½ cup of gas spilled out onto the floor. Once the tube was empty, I put it back on the 90 degree elbow, put the clamp back on and took off to the gas station. It filled up like a charm. Before you take the car into the shop or to the dealer, you really should spend the 15 minutes it takes to take off the back tire and pull this tube to make sure there isn’t any gas in there. Very easy to do!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help!

I am also having problems with the gas pump clicking off as I try to fill my tank.

We checked the outlet tube for the charcoal canister and it was completely clear as well as the entry point.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
Can you open the line before the canister long enough to attempt filling the tank? If that fixes it you may need to replace the canister.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts