Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
omg jdm
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was fine last night when I came home! Now when I turn the key, it won't start! The headlights are bright, the fan blows, etc so it's not the battery, but when I turn the key to start the car the starter doesn't engage or click or anything!!!

What could it be?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Could be the starter is frozen up. I would also go ahead and take the battery cables off and clean them real good before I tried anything else.

·
I don't hate C3H8
763 Posts
I can't see it being the starter Its been my experience that when Toyota starters go its usually catastrophic. Most plausible thing I can think of is the ground from the engine to the frame or from the starter to the engine has disconnected. I remember fixing that on my neighbors sr-5 4x4 that had similar symptoms.

·
omg jdm
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, you know when you turn the key to ON the lights on the dash and the buzzer comes on? And then when you turn it to START the lights and buzzer shut off? Well, the buzzer and lights never shut off... I'm thinking bad ignition switch?

·
omg jdm
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Battery is fine. I just came back from the mechanic, and it turns out water had gotten in there from a puddle or something and froze the solenoid last night. After driving it a while (I pop started it), it melted and all is well.

Least the mechanic didn't charge me!

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
haha.. I was gonna say jumpstart it fool! and let the battery charge up for a bit in case it had gotten discharged just enough not to crank the car.

·
Registered
983 Posts
aaron7 said:
Was fine last night when I came home! Now when I turn the key, it won't start! The headlights are bright, the fan blows, etc so it's not the battery, but when I turn the key to start the car the starter doesn't engage or click or anything!!!

What could it be?
If your lights don't dim at least a little when cranking and you don't even hear the click of your solenoid trying to engage its probably not your starter...Its more likely to be a loose wire going to your starter or a loose connection to your battery... Other possibilities are some fuse might be blown, bad ignition switch, your chip in your key(if you have one) or even your cars security system...If you know what your doing you can cross a screw driver between your starter posts or touch a positive wire to your starter post(where the red small wires are connected) to see if it cranks over that way(be careful doing that) Some say doing that will screw up your computer but I have done that a couple times this winter to friends cars and many other times with no problems but its up to you!...Good luck...Radd Guy...

·
omg jdm
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I was told to check the clutch switch, starter relay (in the fuse box near your left foot, small and round), and the connections on the starter. Also to see if the starter was getting juice when the key was turned by using a multimeter.

Luckily it was just the water thing, but now I have to figure out how it got there, as I don't remember crossing any rivers or anything!

·
I don't hate C3H8
763 Posts
car wash?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Well we here can't be right all of the time :dunno: but we try :) ...Glad you found out what the problem was....By the way you don't have to say thanks for trying to help, just pay it forward maybe you can help someone here sometime :D .....Radd Guy....

·
omg jdm
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did it again this morning!!! Had to pop start it AGAIN. I can't find this starter relay that is near the fuse box (so I'm told). The only round thing I saw was something that said "Breaker" on it. I pulled it out and banged on it, but no change.

I figured out the best way to describe the problem. It's like I'm not pushing in the clutch and trying to start it. I checked the clutch switch, banged on it, pushed it in, etc. but it didn't help anything.

Can I disconnect the clutch switch and twist the wires together? It's habbit to start the car with the clutch in, and I never leave it in gear, so no worries there! :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts