• TRD Sport

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Vote for my new Tacoma on my web page: www.cardomain.com/id/chixdigprix colors too

I'm in the market for the new 2005 Tacoma and need help choosing an option package.

I'm going to get a Double Cab 2wd Prerunner V6 Automatic

I'm having trouble choosing if I want the SR5 package or TRD Sport package.

Has anyone experienced the difference driving the sport with 17" wheels and Bilstein shocks?

I'm going for appearance more than performance.

Hood scoop with color keyed grill or Chrome grill and plain hood ?

Thanks!

Please help me choose my Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Prerunner V6 Double Cab by voting on www.cardomain.com/id/chixdigprix

Complete with photos and choices of color in each style SR5 and TRD Sport

·
TN の がしょう
7,391 Posts
Rides stiffer, and not as smooth as before. Just to tell you that. Bigger the wheels, the more you sacrifice the ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You certainly have to look at what your needs are now and what you think they might be in the future. I personally would get the SR5 package #8 which includes the tow package. The oil coolers, heavy duty alternator, and 115v outlet are all great features even if you really dont do much towing. The oil coolers will provide more cooling capacity and subsequent life expectancy for the engine and trans. The heavy duty alternator will provide the extra capacity should you wish to add more stereo, lights, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do plan on keeping this truck for a long time. I'm getting the tow package because i'll have to tow a uhaul trailer when moving.

I'm thinking since the longest thing I'll have to put in the bed will be a couch the 5 foot bed will do, cause even with the 6 foot bed you'd have to drop the tailgate.

I did get the chance to drive a 2003 4WD Tacoma double cab. Does anyone know if the '05 TRD Sport package rides worse than that? I personally liked the ride of the '03 4WD.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you are considering moving to a state with stricter emissions controls (Calif?), you might want to look into what you might have to do to the truck when you get there. I had a neighbor who took an older Ford there a few years ago and had to add to the emissions equipment. It might be easier and cheaper to buy one there.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had an '04 Xtra Cab Prerunner and traded it in for the '05 double cab 4x4. Both with the TRD package. I actually notice that the 05 rides better than my 04, and I am pleased with my 05 so far. I like it much better than the 04. The sport seats are much more comfy too. btw, I have the 17's and they still seem to ride better than my 04 with the 16's.

·
Love this Tacoma!
623 Posts
Well I dont know about its ride in relation to other year models. I did however drive a SR5 only model, and then a SR5/TRD Sport package model. Cosmetically I love the options on the TRD package that I got. The sport seats are so nice, the 17's are one of few factory wheels Ive seen that I doubt i'll be changing to something else. The hood and fog light setup really make for an aggressive look coming down the road too. To me after driving lowered vehicles for so many years I forgot what I was missing out on in a vehicle with non altered suspension as far as ride quality goes. To me it rides great, very quiet, little to no road noise, suspension is just firm enough to make me think im in a lowered vehicle as road hugging goes. It has less body roll than my lowered blazer did. I'm not that fond of the tire choice, they are quiet but seem to pick up a lot of small rocks so thank goodness for the mud flaps.

Mine came with the towing package that was mentioned previously. The engine and trans cooler, the hitch, the pin connector, the upgraded alternator. Towing with this truck has been great so far compared to my previous vehicle which struggled to pull my YFZ450, gear, and the trailer it rode on. All in all I love this truck. Mine even came with tinted windows, chrome running boards, the overhead console, the matched floor mats, door sill protectors, and all the bells and whistles. A very good choice for me in trucks for a daily driver and light duty tow pig so far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good to hear, i'm leaning more and more towards the TRD sport, with either Black or Indigo as color choices.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yeah I love most everything about it. Especially the looks, and the engine set up with all the oil coolers. The tires that come with it suck... hard. :thumbsdow It comes with these dunlop tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Grandtrek+AT20&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=665R7AT20&fromCompare1=yes

As soon as I get the money I'm changin' them out for these bridgestones. I'm not even going to wait until they wear out.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+A/T+Revo&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=665S7ATREVOWL&fromCompare1=yes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
How do they suck? Bad traction, smoothness....?

I test drove a SR5 with Dunlop tires and it rode nicely, a little too smooth for my tastes.

Those Dueller A/Ts are the best truck tire on the market though IMO.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Their traction sucks. I was up in the mountians when 4wd was required last month, and I wasn't going fast at all getting ready to turn and they didn't get any grip at all, and I felt the ABS kick in because I was pushing on the brakes so hard. But I still love the truck. If you have any specific questions IM, or PM me, I've had mine for about 6 weeks now, so I'm startin' to see what I like/dislike, compared to my 04 prerunner.

·
Love this Tacoma!
623 Posts
Mine came with the Bridgestones dueler ht on them but mine is also 2wd, not 4 wd. Maybe its the TRD Offroad pkg im thinking of that comes with the BFG trail tires. Id ditch the bridgestones I have but the truck came with a 6 yr/100,000 mile tire guarantee on the tires. So I figure ill just hang on to them and see if i can put the tire warranty to use.

The only problems I have with the truck is I liked the brakes on my blazer better, 4 wheel disc where these are 2 disc and 2 drum. Also the gas mileage is no where near what the window sticker said. Said 22 on the highway and I average between 18-19 with the higway miles I drive. One good note on the gas mileage though is that I seem to get the same mileage no matter how I drive or whether Im towing a trailer. Drive slow, drive fast, jack rabbit starts, pulling a trailer or not always averages the same mileage roughly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yeah, the BF Goodrich Trail T/As are on TRD Off Road package. I'm used to 2 wheel disc from my past two Pontiac GPs. I'm getting the same warranty deal as you too. Sorry to hear about the gas mileage, but it's still better than the Tundra. Are you using 91-2 octane or 87?

·
Love this Tacoma!
623 Posts
I tried both. Same mileage. Its nice that gas prices are going down but still premium in a daily driver id rather not. Owners manual says for optimum performance run 91+ but you can run anything 87 and over as long as there is no pinging problems. So far on the 87 around here which is usually pretty good quality i've had no pinging problems. I've got about 1500 miles on the Yota so far and love it. I dont think you'll be disappointed in the TRD Sport pkg at all. Great truck for me so far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going the the dealership tomorrow to discuss financing options with a TMMI representative and find how long it will take to get the truck I want. I am definitely going with a TRD Sport package with 7-speaker option. The only other detail is the color. I'm going for INDIGO, but may sway towards BLACK.

·
Love this Tacoma!
623 Posts
Good luck and be sure to haggle and get exactly what you want. I was also surprised at how well the stock stereo system sounds. Most sound like poop, but this one sounds pretty good, and i just got the 6 speaker system and single cd player. Ive never seen a truck with sooooo many cup holders in my life. My double cab has 11 I think. One might be for the ashtray cup, if you're a smoker I think you have to buy an ashtray with cup top seperately as an accessory because i'll be darned if I can find an ashtray on this truck. Good thing I dont :smokin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts