Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,
I'm new here and just purchased a used and pretty beat up 93 paseo with 5-spd. The good thing is that it has strong a/c. The bad thing is that it has some pretty harsh cosmetic damage and really bad road noise.

The Noise is like that you experience while on an airplane. It is kinda of speed sensitive, but only in pitch (and really slight at that), not really volume. Here's the puzzling part. I just changed all four tires with falken ziex 512's, mounted and balanced, and got a four wheel alignment done.....did absolutley nothing for the road noise :(

All of the original floor carpeting is intact and in good shape so I'm assuming that all of the stock sound deadining is in place.

There are no bad gaps in the weatherstriping so that's not it, plus the noise is so bad it irratates me even with both windows down !

The tech at sears noted that both cv boots were bust, but the noise is not a squeaking or grinding sound....plus I've had many, many cars with torn cv boots with no noise.

He also noted that my shocks were going, with my front passenger side completly dead.

I am totally baffled by the source of this road noise, I have never seen a car with this much noise, especially on brand new tires and alignment. If anyone can offer some insight on what might be causing this noise I would appreciate it.

The really sad part is that my co-worker has a 91 paseo and his has no road noise at all

Thanks,
Steve

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
could be tire noise. worn-through bushings on suspension? bearings? worn shocks? something in the tranny?

if the cv boots are torn, you really oughta get that fixed kinda sooner rather than later. it wont fail when youre going 5 mph backing out of your driveway, itll sieze/blow up when youre goin down the freeway at 70. you REALLY dont want to run them w/o grease and boot.

·
Not Crazy
54 Posts
I don't know the Falkens, however I'll bore you with my experience.

When I put new tires on (Nokian Hakkapel....) with fairly knobby tread, I could not hear any tire noise, unless I was beside another car or a concrete highway divider. At those times, the noise was alarming! It was very loud, higher pitched than I would've guessed. Other than that my Toyota is very quiet. (Not how I like it)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the replies. I figured out it is most likely the driver side wheel bearing.
Jacked up the front of the car and put it on stands, started it, and put it in 3rd...eased the clutch in and let it run......damn noise is terrible, even with no load ! So I'm gonna go ahead and change both wheel bearings out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts