Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELP!

My wife turned on her car several weeks ago and this screen appeared instead of her navigation system. :sosad:

She has a 2005 Avalon Limited. After getting conflicting answers from our dealership and Toyota corporate, the answer I was given was this as relayed from Denso (who OEMs it to Toyota):

The only way for this to appear is through a hidden service menu and the instructions are posted on the internet. Thus, they will not fix it and I can replace the NAV ECU for $2500! :mad:

I couldn't believe that Toyota would be strong armed by an OEM supplier like this and not stand behind their warranty.

To me it looks like a PC that doesn't have windows loaded. i.e. I need the navigation operating system re-loaded. I suspect there is a factory program disc that is used when the car is manufactured and it can be re-loaded. The dealer tried a different map DVD and I tried the one from my Solara NAV system.

For reference, the Avalon NAV is NOT a touch screen as it uses physical control buttons located below the radio. The NAV ECU is located in the trunk on the left side. The dealer also told me that this is a 3rd generation system and can not be reset. I have tried disconnecting all the cables to the ECU and leaving them removed for several hours with no luck.

I would be eternally grateful to anyone that could help me out with this problem.

Thanks in advance.

David

·
Registered
7 Posts
Assuming that you did not try to do anyhting untoward to the nav system, it could very well be that the DVD drive is simply bad. I have no idea what the maintenance policy is at Toyota on these devices. It seems that that they are sufficiently complex that they would offer a swap program whereby you could get a new or refurbished unit for a fraction of the new cost with the trade in of your unit. It may be that you could find an individual or a service center that could repair the device. Throwing away a $2500 device when it fails seems a bit extreme. In any case when they say 'the only way for it to fail .....' that's a bit of a cop out. If the service menu exists, then there is always a way that someone might accidentally access it. In any case the message indicates that it cannot read the disk. If a new disk was installed and it still did not read then it is obviously not the disk. If there is a speacial service disk needed to 're-program' the unit then Toyota should offer to do that. Why would they not? If the DVD drive is bad, and they do fail, then they should have a way to deal with that without you buying the entire system again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a '69 Corolla and there were Denso parts all over it, just like now. It's hard to believe that Toyota is being strong armed by one of their own subsidiaries. Look up Denso in Wikipedia.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fix requires taking the trunk unit out, removing the circuit board and de-soldering the camera battery and putting it back and re-soldering it. This is a 100% fix.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Fix requires taking the trunk unit out, removing the circuit board and de-soldering the camera battery and putting it back and re-soldering it. This is a 100% fix.
Any other instructions?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Any other instructions?
Actually Tony, there is a simpler way now rather than removing the battery via de-soldering and re-soldering, you can tape a small light bulb (christmas tree bulb is perfect) to drain the battery on the circuit board by taping its leads to both sides. It is slightly longer in duration, but less messy.

After this, and you re-install the thing, all you have to do is follow the instructions after starting the car back up-- and do not turn the car off until the process of a re-boot has finished running its course on the main screen. Good luck and enjoy the victory!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I unsoldered and resoldered the battery 3 volt, nothing changed, any ideas?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Finally Fixed

Thanks to pseudoluxury for the major help.
I did the procedure again, then installed the old gen 3 v5.1 it came with. It worked!
Then installed Gen 3 v8.1, and it updated & worked!
Then installed Gen 3 v11.1 and it froze up, it is either a bad disc, or the wrong version, Delray Toyota is ordering me a new disc.
Good news all around!

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
nothing is better than fixing this yourself!

Thanks to pseudoluxury for the major help.
I did the procedure again, then installed the old gen 3 v5.1 it came with. It worked!
Then installed Gen 3 v8.1, and it updated & worked!
Then installed Gen 3 v11.1 and it froze up, it is either a bad disc, or the wrong version, Delray Toyota is ordering me a new disc.
Good news all around!

Thank you!!!
I recall the feeling of victory after getting mine to work again! It is one of the greatest feeling you can have- especially after the dealership bailed on all fixes other than replacing the computer. I think using the christmas tree bulb that someone else suggested is an even cleaner and less technical fix. Good job desoldering and re-soldering-- it is not a task without some risks! Enjoy the restored ride! Now I NEED to update my disc which is still 5.1 I think--- man I am lucky to even find my way home with all of the changes to roads around here!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I looked up the Part Numbers

Royal Palm Beach Toyota sold me a 86271-AVLN3-11
This disc won't work in a 2006 Avalon, it's for 2007-2010
Delray Toyota is ordering me a 86271-GEN23E-11
This disc works on 2002-2006 Avalons

·
Registered
37 Posts
I looked up the Part Numbers

Royal Palm Beach Toyota sold me a 86271-AVLN3-11
This disc won't work in a 2006 Avalon, it's for 2007-2010
Delray Toyota is ordering me a 86271-GEN23E-11
This disc works on 2002-2006 Avalons
If they won't take it back (the one for the 2007-- let me know what you want for it. I have a 2007.

Cheers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts