Toyota Nation Forum banner

help: how-to-remove exhaust manifold

34287 Views 15 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Listen1111
While getting a smog check the tech told me I need to check and replace the exhaust manifold gasket. Does anyone have any step-by-step instruction or know's of a site where I can download an instruction?

Set of pictures will help too.

I just got my 89 yota with 22RE.

Thanks!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Unbolt the dozen or so bolts that bolt the exhaust manifold to block. Remove the old gasket, replace with the new gasket and rebolt everything back together. If you need more instruction than that you should probably go pick up a manual and do some reading. A manual is a go thing to have around anyway to help diagnose problems that may come up.

How would the guy at DEQ know that you needed a new exhaust manifold gasket? Go you know if you have a leak in the gasket? Don't always trust what DEQ thinks the problem is, they will give as much free advice as your willing to take, that doesn't mean that its any good. Afterall, if they really knew what they were doing they would be mechanics making $50/hr not technicians working for the state making $20/hr.
~Ben
Unbolt the dozen or so bolts that bolt the exhaust manifold to block. Remove the old gasket, replace with the new gasket and rebolt everything back together. If you need more instruction than that you should probably go pick up a manual and do some reading. A manual is a go thing to have around anyway to help diagnose problems that may come up.

~Ben
Before starting this new project of mine, do I need to unbolt the exhaust that Y's to the manifold?
Before starting this new project of mine, do I need to unbolt the exhaust that Y's to the manifold?
It would help because then you can completely remove the manifold to clean out any build-up from the gasket not sealing properly. You might be able to do the job by only unbolting the header bolts, but disconnecting the exhaust manifold at the Y pipe would only help.
~Ben
Nope. You _should_ be able to do it after just removing the nuts that hold the headers on. You'll want to soak those nuts LIBERALLY with PBBlaster, WD-40, or whatever you have, OVER NIGHT.

If you break a stud, it will suck.

While you're soaking things, you might better soak the Y junction connection bolts also, just in case you DO need more movement. ;)

PBBlaster is my friend. :) LOTS of it.
Here is a link to tons of free factory service manual downloads:

http://www.t4x4pickup.com/dgroup/messages/2902.html

Sidney® ™
Repairs TV's,VCR's,home/car audio out of my apartment
E-mail:sidneybek(at)yahoo.com
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia
Canada
first you will need to take the PAIR tube loose from the exhaust manifold and just loosen the nuts on the flange on the PAIR valve under the intake manifold.

unbolt the bracket that supports the front pipe to the bell housing

before you remove the nuts that hold the manifold on, tighten them to 35ft/lbs and make sure they hold that torque. you may find that the rear lower stud will be pulling out of the head. if so then you will have to disconnect the manifold from the exhaust pipe and remaove it completely so that you can helicoil those threads.

remove the nuts that hold the exhaust manifold to the head and pull the manifold back and replace the gasket.
Found and fixed the problem with the exhaust. The noise was coming from the gasket flange between the manifold and the 3-4 feet pipe connected to the catalyctic conv. I got aftermarket replacement from pepboys for $4.29 w/ tax and got rid of the noise. Saved myself $85 vs. going to a mechanic.

See less See more
There you go..

You've done it now.

Fixed your own truck,

How dare you:clap:
I'm finding myself spending more and more of my time with this truck than I ever did with my previous vehicles. It will be challenging from here on.
There is something about these trucks. I just stare at mine sometimes. It's like art or something.
I do the same thing Rickisan.

I'm replacing the manifold gasket on my truck tomorrow, just pulled the heatshield and I soaked the nuts with some wd-40. letting them sit overnight and get ready for the big day tomorrow.

I was planning on replacing the flange gasket also, but Autozone gave me an O shaped gasket... looks like it's not the right shape.:confused:

question: what is the tube right over the manifold for? probably a newb question, but I'm still a learning "mechanic".
EGR valve. recirculates exhaust gasses into intake manifold. I figured it out myself.
Neat.

Rickisan and Sparkimus

it's actually the thing that seperates us from everyone else. They don't understand what it is that really connects us to these pickups. They don't see the strong attraction. it's mysterious i tell ya. my friends sometimes think i should spend my time on a car, i think i love my truck.
I pulled off the manifold without much trouble. half of the nuts were already loose, which is probably why the gasket was blown out and burnt up. The two middle studs came out, but I was able to get them back in without stripping anything. The top nut on the no. 4 cylinder wasn't so lucky. stripped the threads out of the head. :headbang: Put some metal epoxy my dad had in it that is supposed to bond the metal when heat is applied, so it should be good now.

Put it all back together and the engine is running much quieter, and the torque is much much better.

good afternoon project.:D
aloha

this is a great site!
Im in the middle of doing this job and super frustrated. which is what brought me online to find answers. I think I will remember this and look online before starting a job like this.
I think someone might have put in bolts that point towards the steering wheel on the pipe assembly cuz those are the only reason it wont slide off, they wont come out, and seem to be rusted on.
I made a video about it. Can I
Can someone help me?

Im a girl and even though Ive been working on vehicles for 14 yrs, when I went travelling around the US in my "bumpy bus" as my daughter called it, a 73 VW van. I still really dont like working on vehicles, until Im done, and then I feel like YEAH I did it!

Thanks for help yall
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.