Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I was relocating my VSV I accidentally hit the wire leading to the knock sensor harness. Being my Camry (aka "The Bomb") has 243k miles on it, the wire is very fragile and just fell out. I've been told that this isn't just a simple splice repair and may require soldering. I don't mind messing with electronics and the like. Can someone tell me how to do this repair or point me in the right direction.

I did a search and didn't think I saw a previous thread.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Where exactly did the wire break?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like it just pulled out of the back of the harness. Not sure if I can just reinsert and glue together...sounds too simple from what I'm reading.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Is the wire black or yellow/clear at that point? If it's black...it's shielded and will not be easy. If it's yellow or clear, it is NOT shielded and can simply be soldered back together.

If soldering, DISCONNECT the connector from both the knock sensor AND the ECU to avoid hurting either system.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
You should be able to just cut a bit off the wire, strip it, and shove it back in there. I don't know what to use to hold it in there though....

Maybe try to dissect the connector and pull the metal part out, solder it, put it back in?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah, unfortunately before reading it was shielded I started scraping away a little of the outer shielding because I thought I could just reconnect. It actually looked like it was more corroded like how copper tarnishes rather than black.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I'm actually in the process of dissecting the connector now. I need to get the center piece out and then I'll solder it back together. I may just push it together for now to see if it works then solder as a permanent fix.

Thanks for all the help and the quick responses.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Make sure you push the shielding (black wire covering a mesh type wire) back up the to the butt of the connector. If not, you'll get a CEL.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Knock sensor kit

Toyota has a kit to repair the harness and connector. This assembly is a beefed up version of the one that shipped on the vehicle. Currently I am a lube tech at a Toyota dealer, and stumbled into this while fixing a car my fiance bought. A master tech (20+ years exp) next to me warned me to replace them when I had access to them, but parts would take a day and I didn't want to extend my time on the car, so I was really careful with them instead. Nope, if you disturb or even have access to these wires at all during a job, the general rule at our dealership is to offer to replace them if we find the aged originals. A slight breeze across their fragile copper bones is often enough generate knock sensor codes, after the fact, I just found this to be true; believe me, I was very gentle on these wires! Replace them if you touch them at all. Now I have to take the intake off again, and I will be crossing my fingers that 1) the new intake gaskets don't need to be replaced 2) $50 of
Toyota Red Coolant" isn't spilled/contaminated 3) The knock sensors may be broken which would have known by just doing this in the first place! And most importantly, I'll be finishing this at my house because 4) Embarrassment of not taking good advise from a respected mentor technician should he find out! I am subscribed to the thread if any more questions arise.

For our California Emission, 1999 Avalon XL, with the 1MZ-FE engine, The part number is "82219-07010", Description: "Wire, SE121" and list is $37.95. CHANGE TO THIS PART IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO IT ON YOUR 1MZ-FE ENGINE! You have been warned!:eek:wnedsmas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts