Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, i want to say tn is the shizzznit. Ive been on here for a couple years off and on. for the most part, i can usually find the answers to all my question through the search "button." for some reason not for my questions regarding lifts.
I have a trd off-road access cab looking to get a 3-inch lift. I decided on toytec ome 885 or 886? i already researched and know what wheels/tires to get. My questions are:
1. I know that most of you guys get 885 because there is less of a chance of sag in the future. All will eventually sag, but i guess its lesser of the evils. Should i get OME 886 or is not necessary?
2. Should I pay a local shop to install the lift? If so, how much should i expect to fork out (install for the front and AAL in the back) and any recommendations in the o.c area? or if there is anyone in socal (o.c area) that is willing to help.:naughty: I would do it myself, i just dont trust myself.
3. for you guys with all-terrain tires with 3 inch lifts, how much gas do you lose, mud terrains? i really love the aggressiveness and look of m/t but not enough if there is a substantial loss in mpg.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Hooray Beer
'08 DB LB 4x4
193 Posts
My 885s sagged on the driver's side in 10 days, no joke. And no wheeling either. And, no, I am not fat.

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
First off, i want to say tn is the shizzznit. Ive been on here for a couple years off and on. for the most part, i can usually find the answers to all my question through the search "button." for some reason not for my questions regarding lifts.
I have a trd off-road access cab looking to get a 3-inch lift. I decided on toytec ome 885 or 886? i already researched and know what wheels/tires to get. My questions are:
1. I know that most of you guys get 885 because there is less of a chance of sag in the future. All will eventually sag, but i guess its lesser of the evils. Should i get OME 886 or is not necessary?
2. Should I pay a local shop to install the lift? If so, how much should i expect to fork out (install for the front and AAL in the back) and any recommendations in the o.c area? or if there is anyone in socal (o.c area) that is willing to help.:naughty: I would do it myself, i just dont trust myself.
3. for you guys with all-terrain tires with 3 inch lifts, how much gas do you lose, mud terrains? i really love the aggressiveness and look of m/t but not enough if there is a substantial loss in mpg.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
1-Can't answer, cause I never had them. However, most people go up one just to be safe.

2-No you shouldn't pay them. But if you want I can help and do it for a small fee...much cheaper than a shop. I have done both and they are easy to do.

3-All I know is with my 2.5" lift from my 5100's and my AAL 2" my mileage stayed the same with 275/70/16 Toyo Open Country AT's (Nitto Grapplers)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool man, i will hold you up to it. im looking to do everything within the next couple of months. i have to save 2g's for the wheels and tires i want.

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
cool man, i will hold you up to it. im looking to do everything within the next couple of months. i have to save 2g's for the wheels and tires i want.
I am in Downey and I have all the tools and the shop by me can compress springs if you need to for $40...real cool cats. I am open on the weekdays....weekends = no bueno!

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
i would get the 886s. I have them on my truck (no aftermarket bumper or winch) and I haven't noticed a sag at all. In fact, I took out the 1/2" spacer that I had on there when I used to have 884s because it was causing almost a 4" lift and horrible CV angles. Also, I honestly have not felt a ride difference with the 884s and 886s, so I imagine the 885s vs the 886s will be hardly noticeable as well.

It looks like you're getting help on the install. GOOD. shops will over charge for this simple install. the only really hard part is compressing the coils. Everything else is just unbolting things in the way of you getting the strut out. I have done this install about 5 times on my truck (serves me right for not doing it the right way the first time). First time was to put the 884s on (and AALs in the rear), second was to upgrade to OME shocks and TC UCAs, third was to redo the OME shocks bc I put the shock plate on upside down, causing me to lose an inch of lift and my tires rubbed (even after initial trimming), fourth was to upgrade to 886s, and fifth was to take out the 1/2" spacer. All of the times were pretty much the same install: compressing the coils. Only reason I share this is because before this truck, I had never worked on a car in my life, so the difficulty isn't that bad.

I have 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers. I didn't notice a drop in mpg even though I increased the tire size by 7% (from stock tires) and with the extra all terrain tread.

hope this helps :thumbsup:

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
I have 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers. I didn't notice a drop in mpg even though I increased the tire size by 7% (from stock tires) and with the extra all terrain tread.

hope this helps :thumbsup:

What rims do you have them on? How much trimming would you have do to "your" ride if you did it right the first time?

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
What rims do you have them on? How much trimming would you have do to "your" ride if you did it right the first time?
I have the Special Edition FJ wheels (silver), so the back spacing was the same (4.5")

Prior to trimming, after installing the lift for the first time, it looked like this

after i trimmed it down with a dremmel, it was fine. But once the 884s started to sag, they started to rub again. also, when i put the OME shocks on the first time, they started to rub, that's how i knew something was wrong.

now, the only time they rub is when i'm off roading

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
Mines a spacer lift, but I can tell you my gas mileage didn't go down too bad. I still have yet to get an accurate mileage estimate, but utilizing my gps as an odometer (with the tires the odo doesn't turn as fast), I'm at 17-18mpg. I run 285/70/17 BFG KM2s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts